Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

The One Woman by silkenroses [Reviews - 19]


Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer! All characters mentioned herein belong to the extremely talented J.K. Rowling. I own nothing, I just brought them out to play for a little while.

Special thanks to my friend Paul for betaing this thing; I owe you, darlin'!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The man sat looking at the letter. 50 years ago it had been written, and the contents still had the ability to bring tears to his eyes. Who knew that as a 40 year old spy he could have harbored such tender feelings for such a young girl... no, woman. No one, least of all himself, had ever considered that someone, anyone, might actually find him... attractive... in any way at all. Yet, somehow, she did.

Not only that, but she had a sense of humor. Don't snort, Professor, it isn't dignified, indeed. She was right, though. He was quite tempted to write it off as a "silly school girl crush," and in fact had done so, at least until five years later, when he had seen her again, this time as a colleague. Dumbledore had given her the position as Professor of Magical History, as Professor Binns had at last decided to take a well-deserved retirement. He recalled that he had snorted at that, recalling his own history of magic classes: utterly and completely boring. He couldn't think that anyone, even a woman as bright as she, especially a woman as bright as she, could bring the Wizarding World's history to life. However, for the second time in his life, she surprised him. After the first day of classes that year, he heard throughout the Great Hall nothing but high praise for Professor Granger's history of magic class. The third years were to be allowed to stage a mock-Goblin battle on the Quidditch Field, and the seventh years were to do a year-long research project on the historical subject of their choice, pending approval of their Professor, of course.

However, sometime during the first year of her teaching, he came to know her, not as know-it-all student, but as a highly intelligent woman, truly excited about her field, and eager to spread her knowledge to the young of the Wizarding World.

By Christmas of her second year of teaching, he knew that he loved her. By Valentine's Day of that school year, he knew she loved him back. That July, they were married, Harry, Ron, Dumbledore, McGonagall, and the rest of their friends and family standing beside them. The meeting of her parents went by peachily. Ron and Harry didn't even put up too much of a fuss, having come to terms with their former professor before they had even left Hogwarts. By the next July, they had started their family, and it kept growing until they had 5 children, leaving him to wonder if they would end up giving Arthur and Molly Weasley a run for their (admittedly limited amounts of) money.

And now, 50 years later, he sat reading the letter that had, in fact, started it all. He sat very still, well aware that Hermione had come up behind him, confirmed by her putting her arms around him and whispering into his ear.

"Severus, what...? Don't tell me you still have that? I thought for sure that you had thrown it away as soon as you received it," Hermione Snape said.

"Yes, I kept it. I didn't know why at the time, but I do now. Read it, please. I've always wondered what it would sound like in your actual voice, not just the one inside my head," Severus Snape, newly-appointed Headmaster and ongoing Potions Master at Hogwarts, requested.

"All right, dear... Give it to me....

"Dear Professor,
By the time you receive this, I will be gone.

I am not writing this letter as a final parting shot, but it
might have been easier if that had been the case. I would prefer
to remain silent, but my Gryffindor courage (or stupidity as you
see fit) won't allow me to keep my counsel.

Don't worry, sir. I can hear your blatant drawl, 'Get on with
it, already!' from here.

I like you.

I am not so foolish as to say love, because while I know a
great deal more about you than the average student, I know
better than to assume I know enough to profess my undying
devotion.

Don't snort, Professor, it isn't dignified.

I am fairly certain you will write this off as a silly school
girl crush. But you should know that at least one student
appreciates and respects the work that you have done…

And one woman sincerely cares about your happiness.

Hermione Granger.
"


The One Woman by silkenroses [Reviews - 19]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved