Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Alternate Universe

Walking on Lake Eden by Isabel Corey [Reviews - 14]


Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Nothing you recognize is mine.

Author’s Note: A few notes for the start of this. First of all, I’ve had to tweak the timeline quite a bit for this. Not compliant with books six and seven, though I may incorporate some of JKR’s story line from those later. Which means that yes, this is a WIP, but I know exactly where it’s going, big-picture wise. (:

The “suicide” warning was placed because of some extended conversation about an attempted suicide later in the story. No character death.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“The curse which lies upon marriage is that too often the individuals are joined in their weakness rather than in their strength.” - Simone de Beauvoir




Truth be told, when news of the recently passed Marriage Law had begun circulating around the corridors of Hogwarts, there was no reason for Hermione to suspect that she would be petitioned for marriage by any pureblood family. She had turned seventeen less than a week after the passing of the law, which made her eligible, but there were plenty of other reasons purebloods would avoid her. She was muggleborn. She was the friend of Harry Potter. She associated with blood traitors.

And she supposed, looking back on her naïve assumption, that those very factors were the reasons she was sitting in Dumbledore’s office.

“Malfoy.” For some reason, she was sure Dumbledore was kidding. So she laughed, but that made her sound hysterical. And Dumbledore and Professor Snape were not laughing at all. “No, you’re kidding,” she insisted when the older wizard before her continued to look quite serious. “Draco Malfoy does not want to marry me.”

“I assure you Miss Granger, he does,” Professor Snape told her, and since it had been the first thing he’d said since she came into the room, Hermione jumped slightly. “He and his father asked for the Dark Lord’s consent last night. And he agreed.”

Hermione felt her brow furrowing at his words. Surely of all wizards, Voldemort would be the first to oppose this law. “Why would Voldemort want any of his purebloods marrying and breeding with muggleborns?” She had noted his flinch at the name and winced at the glare he gave her now.

“While it’s true that the Dark Lord was most unhappy with the passing of the Marriage Law, Lucius found a way to make him see the benefits of such a situation.” When Hermione only returned this announcement with a blank stare, Snape glared at her to demonstrate his impatience. “Please, do try to keep up Miss Granger. You pose a threat to the Dark Lord, because of your intelligence and your friendship with Potter.” How was it that Professor Snape could make the comment of her intelligence seem like an insult? “If the Malfoys were to have you under their control, they could not only force information from you, but the Dark Lord could use you to bring Potter down.”

“But why Malfoy? Surely Voldemort has other followers who are less inept.”

“Well he didn’t offer for any romantic notions, I assure you, Miss Granger.” She found herself scowling at him, because this conversation would be much easier if he were less of a bitter, sarcastic man. “The Malfoys have fallen out of the Dark Lord’s graces, and Lucius always latches onto any possibility of raising Draco within the ranks.” His statement seemed to allude to something else entirely, and if she wasn’t so concerned about herself, she probably would have wondered on that.

Hermione swallowed, biting her lip as she thought. She could not marry a Malfoy. She could not allow Voldemort to use her. She could not be responsible for Harry’s downfall. “Well, it’s certainly not something I can agree to,” she said finally and turned her pleading eyes to the headmaster. “Professor Dumbledore, if I don’t, they can take my wand. They can force me to live as a muggle.” Before either of her professors could reply, she realized that a vital piece of this whole bizarre puzzle was missing. “Wait. I haven’t even received anything from the Ministry stating that I’ve been petitioned for marriage.” Maybe he changed his mind? She could only hope.

Dumbledore smiled sadly. “No, because Professor Snape was not about to allow someone as dangerous as Lucius Malfoy take you into his home. You would have no one to protect you there, and with the provisions of this law, you would have very few rights in the eyes of the Ministry.”

They were both looking at her as if she was supposed to be catching onto something. She wasn’t. “So…Professor Snape convinced Voldemort that I’m not so special after all?” She asked weakly.

“No, Miss Granger,” Snape answered, sounding annoyed, clearly wanting to move the conversation forward. “I offered to marry you instead.”

Her eyes widened at first, even though it hadn’t seemed likely they could open any more than they were. But when his words finally settled into her brain, Hermione felt inexplicably relieved. “Oh,” she breathed. “Well, why couldn’t you just tell me that when I walked in? I’ve been sitting here, ready to hand in my wand and leave the wizarding world. You could have just said you had an alternate plan.”

Dumbledore smiled, folding his hands –one blackened and one healthy – before him. Snape, however, looked confused. Hermione wished she had a camera, because she’d never seen this expression on his face before. “Maybe you didn’t quite understand-”

“No, I do,” she assured him. “And I’m sorry if you wanted me to be upset. But you can’t follow up ‘Malfoy wants to marry, rape, and break you’ with ‘But Professor Snape will protect you from that’ and not expect me to be relieved.”

“Miss Granger, wizard marriages cannot be undone. There are no divorces in this world. My proposal is akin to suicide, in that it’s a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” He had advanced further into the room, now standing in front of Dumbledore’s desk. She wondered why he looked so angry if she had agreed to his plan. Possibly, she thought, he had wanted her to be appalled.

“Yeah, well, like with suicide, there happens to be an underlying issue and it’s not as simple as finding the right solution,” she told him angrily, not sure if she was defending herself or suicide cases now. She shook her head to bring the topic at hand back to the forefront. “From what you’re telling me, this-” She indicated the two of them, “is the only solution we have. And unlike suicide, it’s not like it’s the end of my life. I can finish school, get a job, and live exactly as I had planned.”

One of Snape’s eyebrows rose in disbelief. “Really, now? And what if you were to fall in love, Miss Granger? As I said before-”

“I know, wizard marriages cannot be undone. I understand. But what in Merlin’s name makes you think I ever planned to marry?” A small laugh escaped her, and she shook her head. “Trust me; I had no desire for marriage or children. However, since the new law demands it, I suppose I’ll end up with both.”

He paused, and Hermione knew that he was trying to grasp for anything left that might make her change her mind. After all, how normal is it for a girl to sign her life away without caring? “And you realize that my protecting you does not exclude us from the heir clause?”

“You mean the section that states we have to have sex once a week?” She paused, eyebrow raised. “Are you trying to talk me out of it, or are you trying to convince me this is what’s best?” His eyes narrowed, but she didn’t flinch this time. “Trust me, I’ve read the law in its entirety, and I know exactly what’s required. Forgive me if I’d rather it was someone I trusted than Draco Malfoy.”

Headmaster Dumbledore had remained quiet for some time, waiting for a moment of calm to step in. When it seemed that Professor Snape had no more arguments, Dumbledore clapped his hands once. “Splendid,” Dumbledore said with a smile and pushed a piece of parchment forward on his desk. “Miss Granger, this is Professor Snapes’s petition from the Ministry. I assure you, the sooner you sign it, the safer you’ll be.” Both she and Snape stared at the headmaster irritably. “You and Professor Snape could, I have no doubt, argue like this into next week. But for the sake of time, please, Miss Granger.” He indicated the parchment again, and she stared at it for a moment before moving forward and signing her consent. When she looked up to Professor Snape, he was giving her the oddest look, and she was forced to turn away.

“As you know, Hermione, you and Professor Snape must be married within two weeks in accordance with the law.” He paused, breathing a heavy sigh and standing. “Now, this situation will be…most difficult to handle. Voldemort agreed to let Professor Snape petition you instead of Draco, because he felt like Severus would approach the opportunity with more delicacy than Mr. Malfoy. Severus’ orders are to petition you for marriage, under the pretense of saving you, although it is most certainly not a pretense, and then to seduce you to gain information about Harry. You cannot, and I must stress this Hermione, tell even Harry or Ron our plan in its entirety. It would put them both in danger. You may tell them the truth – that your marriage is to protect you. But after that, you must act as if you are truly bewitched by Professor Snape – but also frightened of him. It will be a difficult line to walk, I’m sure. But you must succeed at this, because I can assure you Draco will be watching for any signs that Severus is not doing his job. If Voldemort suspects that you’re not helping his cause, he will order Severus to kill you.”

The statement hung in the air for a moment, and she waited for either of them to tie it off with, ‘but we won’t let that happen.’ When neither of them said anything to affirm her hopes, however, she knew that Professor Snape’s position among the Death Eaters would have to come before her safety. Despite agreeing with that, she couldn’t help the bitterness that settled in her chest.

She did her best to keep her voice even, however. “So I presume I’ll have to live with Professor Snape then – to complete the illusion that he’s getting to me.”

Dumbledore nodded at this, just as he was sealing the parchment she’d signed moments before and placing it on the edge of his desk. “You must understand, however, that some within these walls will not understand. They will condemn you for this decision.”

“I understand,” she said sadly. “And if angry muggle parents start threatening to pull their children out of the school…” Wizard parents, after all, would understand because of the law, even if they did not support the marriage.

“If it comes to that-”

“Then I will need to withdraw from my classes here at Hogwarts.” He did not reply, but the fact that the sad smile had returned to his face told her that she was correct. She tried not to be too upset, however, because there was a chance that the other muggleborns could convince their parents Hogwarts was still the only safe place left.

Hermione turned to Professor Snape again, who had retreated slightly since their argument had ended. “I do have one request,” she told him, a little shyly now. “I’m planning on going home for the holidays next week. Christmas is kind of big for my family. I’d like for you to go with me, because there’s less of a chance of them murdering me if you go with me to explain this.” When the look on his face said he was going to object, she quickly continued. “Please, sir. My parents mean the world to me, and the only thing I want out of this marriage is that you’ll try to be in good standing with them.”

She saw he was relenting, and smiled when his tensed shoulders relaxed into a heavy sigh. He only nodded his assent, but she felt like she could hug him for it.

Dumbledore stood, smiling. “I knew we could work this out,” he said, and Hermione had the vague thought that Dumbledore hadn’t really helped them work anything out at all. “Now, Hermione, if you could be so kind as to return this evening after dinner, everything should be in order for me to perform the ceremony.” For the first time since hearing Professor Snape was to be her future husband, she looked afraid. “Severus’ safety depends on this happening quickly, Hermione.”

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

As she walked down the hallway moments later, making her way to Gryffindor Tower, Hermione wondered how she could tell Harry and Ron that, despite what the Headmaster’s letter to her at breakfast had said, Dumbledore hadn’t wanted to see her about muggle candy at all.




Walking on Lake Eden by Isabel Corey [Reviews - 14]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved