Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Challenge fics

Getting Out Of Bed by RickmansGirl [Reviews - 12]


Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer - Harry Potter is not mine, unfortunately, but at least I get to play with the characters. No money is being made.

Getting Out Of Bed

Hermione could see the dawn light spilling onto her bed through her sleep filled eyes. She really didn’t want to get up, and she could feel her hangover pounding against her skull. She wouldn’t dare take a sick day; she wouldn’t do that unless Poppy made her. She also had a day of teaching willing, and some unwilling, students. Transfiguration was her chosen subject. She could have studied further on more or even all of her school subjects, but she had decided Transfiguration was her favourite, and so here she was trying to will herself out of bed to teach it. She most certainly didn’t hate her job; she loved it. But she just knew that today really wouldn’t go as her days normally did, because of this darned hangover.

She had two choices; she could either visit Poppy and get a hangover potion, or she could try and get one from Severus. Either way, she knew she wouldn’t get the response she wanted from either of them. She could just imagine Poppy’s stern voice scolding her, ‘You really shouldn’t go drinking when you know you have to work the next day,’ and then she would insist Hermione actually stay and rest, perhaps for half the day. ‘Minerva can take your morning classes.’ Hermione almost laughed at the way Poppy could revert from being severe to mothering in an instant. Then there was Severus. She knew his head would be pounding like hers, so he’d probably tell her to bugger off. But then he would want a hangover potion for himself, so there was a chance he’d let her have a potion, too.

‘It’s no good lying here thinking about it,’ she thought to herself. Must get up, must get up. She wondered if saying that like a mantra inside her head would actually will her to get up. She doubted it. Then she thought about the nice warm shower that would wake her up, the hot water spilling down her back. That was nearly enough to entice her out of bed. Then she thought about the nice pot of tea that would be awaiting her when she finally got down to the Great Hall for breakfast. No, it wasn’t enough, she was too sleepy.

Then her mind wandered back to last night. Some of the professors, including her, had gone up to Minerva’s quarters for a few drinks to celebrate Minerva’s birthday, and they had all got pretty darn drunk. She remembered the indoor fireworks courtesy of Fred and George Weasley; magnificent they were, too. She remembered that much. She was a big fan of fireworks, always had been, even as a baby, according to her parents.

Then she suddenly remembered all the presents; you’d have thought Minerva was turning 21, not 81, because of the presents she had received. Hermione had bought her a big balloon that was charmed to sing Happy Birthday. Filius had bought a cuddly toy that looked just like Buckbeak, the Hippogriff, which he himself had charmed to also sing Happy Birthday. They all knew that Minerva loved Buckbeak. Hermione had also bought her some pink fluffy slippers that she knew Minerva would love. She didn’t look like a fan of the colour, but they all knew she was. Severus had bought her a diary; it was a stunning black, dragon-hide bound book with Minerva’s initials inscribed in gold on the front. He had also bought her a black quill to go with the diary.

Hermione wasn’t surprised that Severus had given Minerva such a nice gift. They had been friends for more than twenty-five years, and he must have known that she either wanted a diary or didn’t own one. Hermione knew that, since the first downfall of Voldemort, Minerva and Severus had become almost like brother and sister whilst working together for the Order. Hermione sometimes felt a pang of jealousy because of their closeness. She had always respected Severus and had grown to like him since she had left school to train to become a professor. She knew she had a similar level of intelligence to Severus. They had talked at meal times and in the Staff Lounge, but Hermione wished she could talk to him more often, get to know him better, but he was often very solitary. She was new on the faculty of course; perhaps he needed to get used to her presence.

Poppy had brought along a pink cake for Minerva’s birthday for them to eat while they were steadily becoming more drunk, but she had been unable to stay. One of her charges was still rather beaten up from Saturday’s Quidditch match, and she needed to stay in the Hospital Wing.

After Poppy had gone, Hermione had drunkenly decided to charm the cake to have flashing letters in different shades of pink, saying ‘Happy Birthday Minerva’ and ‘81’ written below it. But, because of the alcohol in her body, which had probably interfered with her magic, the spell had gone completely wrong. Thinking back, Hermione thought perhaps she had been holding her wand the wrong way round because those flashing letters had ended up on her face, neck and shoulders. Severus had come to the rescue, because everyone else was laughing too much to help. Hermione had seen a spark in his eyes and his lips had quirked up a bit at the situation, and she had smiled back at him, making him smile just a tiny bit. You probably wouldn’t call it a smile, but Hermione had enjoyed it all the same.

Hermione thought back to Albus’ gift for Minerva, and she resisted the giggle that nearly burst from her. Albus had bought Minerva some lace underwear, red with little gold flowers, and he had bought, of all things, a vibrator! Hermione had laughed out loud, wondering what would inspire such a gift from the Headmaster. She really didn’t want to think about it. But it had given them all a laugh. Hermione remembered the look on Severus’ face; he had choked on his whiskey and scowled at Albus, but Hermione could see that ‘almost’ smile that she had nearly missed before. It was hilarious.

Hermione had had a great time last night, and found herself smiling, despite her throbbing hangover.

‘And what do you think you're smiling at, Miss Granger?’ Severus said slyly next to her, making her jump.

‘Severus?’ she breathed. Wait a second. Severus? Beside her? In her bed? She almost yelped with the realisation of what had happened last night, when Minerva and Albus had insisted that Severus walk Hermione to her chambers. The drunk leading the drunk.

She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she hadn’t realised there was a body next to her. Then she started to remember and she smiled again.

Severus didn’t seem surprised to be there, which must have meant he was quite happy to be in her bed, with her. She relaxed a little; perhaps this would be good for her, for both of them.

They were colleagues, and they had got on very well after Hermione had graduated, when she apprenticed with Minerva for a year, despite his occasional solitude and snappiness.

She rolled over onto her side, and their noses nearly met.

‘Actually, it’s Professor Granger, Severus,’ she said coolly, and he smirked at her, leaning forward to kiss her.

She pulled back, leaned over the edge of her bed to get her dressing gown, got up, and quickly pulled it around her.

'Where do you think you're going?' he said in a low voice. 'I have something here that needs tending to.'

‘You’ll have to catch me first,’ she said mischievously, running towards the bathroom.

‘You’ll be the death of me, woman,’ he growled.

With that, he swiftly got up from her bed and followed her to the bathroom, not bothering to cover his nakedness, and decided to entice her into the shower.

She was finally out of bed, hangover forgotten, looking forward to the day ahead.

The End



A/N: Many thanks and hugs and love to my Beta warren61889. Don't forget to review!


Getting Out Of Bed by RickmansGirl [Reviews - 12]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved