Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Challenge fics

The Truth by Keladry Lupin [Reviews - 74]


Would you like to submit a review?

This fic leans toward being non-HBP-compliant, but based on what I believe of Snape’s motives, and with book seven nowhere in sight, this situation is within the realm of possibility. It's inspired by (but not an exact response to) Zanthia's "Worst Pick-Up Lines Ever" Challenge.

Much gratitude to SnarkyRoxy, Rhiannon, and Tanya for their invaluable beta-reading and Brit-picking efforts!

Not mine. Just Jo's.


*

For Subversa

*

14th February, 2005

It was amazing how one could be so humiliated by one’s peers. Severus was ashamed to be here. Valentine’s Day was just another day on the calendar; what the hell was he doing in this pub with four inebriated Gryffindors?

Lupin had goaded him into a Slytherin-Gryffindor Quidditch bet. Unfortunately, Slytherin had lost, and Lupin was holding his colleague to the condition: have a drink in public with him after the next meeting of the Order of the Phoenix. Severus knew the werewolf was lonely for friends, but surely this was a drastic measure, for him to resort to asking the Potions master to … what was the phrase? ‘Hang out,’ whatever that meant. Lupin had become more gregarious since he and Miss Tonks had begun their affair, some years ago.

At least they were in a wizarding pub, though it wasn’t located in Diagon Alley. Severus had glowered as usual from the shadows in the corner during the meeting, watching from across the room as Potter and Hermione argued quietly with each other. As soon as the meeting was adjourned, he bolted for the door before Lupin could reach him, hoping to escape.

He was inches from a clean getaway when he heard footsteps behind him. ‘Severus, wait, you don’t know where we’re going,’ Lupin protested.

‘Do you really insist on forcing me to do this?’ The war might be over, but that didn’t mean that he was going to play nice with a Marauder.

‘A bet’s a bet, Severus.’

Severus made a last-ditch effort to extricate himself from Lupin’s scheme. ‘And where is Nymphadora, that you aren’t spending this wretched holiday with her?’

‘She’s on assignment in Cheshire.’

Severus slumped imperceptibly. Damn. ‘To where are we Apparating?’

Lupin grinned, knowing that he’d won. ‘It’s less than a mile away; I thought we could walk. We’re just going to wait for the others, and then we’ll go.’ He looked over his shoulder at the stairs.

‘Others?’ Severus turned and saw Hermione Granger, Bill Weasley, Neville Longbottom and Harry Potter shrugging into heavy cloaks and hats as they trundled up the stairs. The Potions master glared at the werewolf. ‘You’re putting me on,’ he accused, horrified. He did not want to be seen socializing with former students. No, not one of them.

He wouldn’t mind abducting one of the aforementioned former students, ripping her knickers off, and ravishing her into insensibility. There was a difference between that and socializing, after all.

Hermione and Potter were still squabbling over something or other; they had been since before the meeting began. He scowled at the pair to hide his thoughts: She’s beautiful when she’s angry. Looking furious, Hermione jammed a hat on her head and murmured ‘Good night’ to everyone in the corridor, though her eyes were on Severus when she said it. Potter, Weasley, and Longbottom just looked at Severus and Lupin expectantly.

He made one last-ditch effort to get out of this. ‘Lycanthropy has finally addled your brain, hasn’t it?’

Lupin grinned … a disarming kind of grin that one gives right before they go for the jugular. ‘A bet’s a bet, Severus,’ the werewolf repeated. ‘Come on, let’s go.’

They arrived at the pub, The Serpent’s Lair, about ten minutes later. Severus hesitated outside, contemplating just Apparating away, but Lupin had sealed their bet with magic, and Circe knew what would happen if he backed out. But Severus wanted out; he was supposed to sit down and drink with three of the banes of his existence?! Even Bill Weasley, while more tolerable than any of his brothers, wasn’t much better. Remus Lupin is a sadistic bloody savage. He knows I can’t stand him or Potter. Or Longbottom. Noise and light surrounded him as he entered the pub.

Lupin’s brassy voice rang out from across the room. ‘Come along, Severus!’

The tinkle of a glass breaking registered in his mind, but when he looked towards the bar, no one was behind it. Severus growled inwardly as he approached a table close to the bar, and looked down his nose at the four Gryffindors who were already seated. ‘What the hell am I doing here, Lupin?’

‘Come with me, and I’ll tell you.’

Severus sneered as he followed Lupin to the bar. The werewolf’s attention was focussed elsewhere, but Severus persisted, saying, ‘What are you playing at?’

‘Just taking solace in the fact that no one else could get a date, either.’ He waved at the barmaid, trying to get her attention.

‘I beg your pardon,’ Severus snapped. ‘Unlike you, I did not attempt to get ‘a date’ for this pathetic excuse for a holiday.’

‘And I’m sure that there are dozens of women crying their eyes out because five such attractive men are here with each other,’ said a contralto voice from behind the bar. Severus focussed his attention on a beautiful blonde, maybe in her mid-twenties, who smiled warmly at him and Lupin. ‘What can I get you?’ She spoke with a soft burr; Glasgow, perhaps.

Remus grinned. ‘Hello, Helen. Firewhisky on ice, rum and Coke, a pint of mead, a Gillywater, and --’ he said, motioning for Severus to speak.

She turned to Severus. She seemed to be looking at him, but he knew, somehow, that she wasn’t. He decided he was too harsh-looking for her to enjoy it. ‘Butterbeer.’

‘Okay.’ The beauty walked away and busied herself with their order.

‘That’s what we’re doing here, Severus,’ Lupin muttered, amber eyes smiling.

Confused, Severus looked where Lupin was looking. The barmaid was there, but surely Lupin didn’t mean -- ‘Pardon?’

‘Didn’t you see her?’

Severus leaned forward, bringing his glare to full power. ‘She is young enough to --’

But he swallowed the rest of his objection. Helen was about the same age as Hermione -- young enough to be his daughter -- but he planned to approach his beloved as soon as she earned her Junior Mastery with Khamai, this summer. He’d waited long enough, and was certain that Hermione was finally mature enough to know her own mind. Severus had even prepared for this, gradually gentling his manner and wit over the last three years when she was near, so it wouldn’t shock her into a premature death when he approached her.

‘Tell me again, Severus; how much younger than Albus is Minerva?’ Lupin said absently, looking back towards their table. Then he sighed. ‘Severus, just take a look, have one drink, and then we won’t object if you choose not to stay. I just wanted you to have a good time, for once.’ Severus raised a disbelieving eyebrow at the werewolf, who spread his hands in an innocent gesture. ‘Just think of what I could have asked of you, Severus, after you lost the bet.’ Lupin paused for effect, and smirked. ‘Happy Valentine’s Day.’

Your parents were never married,’ Severus hissed.

A soft clunk signalled Helen’s return, and a wide smile -- a familiar smile -- crossed her face. ‘With an acidic wit like this gentleman --’

Lupin snorted.

She didn’t miss a beat, continuing, ‘-- has, you and your mates had better watch your step.’ Helen winked at Severus, mischief in her blue eyes. ‘Though I’m sure they’re used to you by now, sir.’

Instead of snarling back, Severus looked thoughtfully at her. There was something familiar about this witch. ‘Have we met?’

‘Yes, Professor Snape, we have,’ she said. Then she looked away and added, ‘Though I was an unremarkable student; I wouldn’t expect you to remember me.’

‘What is your name?’

‘Helen Campbell.’

She was right. She must have been utterly unremarkable for him not to remember her, even after having told him her name. ‘Ta, Helen,’ Lupin said, handing her a Galleon, and he and Severus took the drinks to their table.

Once there, he glanced over his shoulder at the barmaid. Lupin was right; she was lovely. Her hair was golden blonde, coiled and tucked in on itself in the back, though a few wavy tendrils escaped to drift about her face. Stubborn chin, even teeth and large blue eyes. Her gaze flicked in his direction, and he knew she was looking at him. Not Lupin, Weasley, or Potter. Him.

So. Some former, utterly unremarkable student had had a crush on the Git. He shrugged mentally; it had happened before. He was ashamed that one of his students had caught his eye, several years ago, in her seventh year. Not ashamed of his feelings for her, so much as it was that she’d been his student when his tendre for her began. Severus glanced at Potter, her best friend, then took a swig of his drink.

Severus continued drinking his Butterbeer quickly, intending to get out as soon as possible, but then Lupin brought up the Quidditch match from last week. He drew all four of his companions into the conversation quickly, and before they knew it, they were on their second round of drinks. Severus noticed that, despite the talk of his favourite sport, Potter kept looking at the barmaid.

He wasn’t the only one to notice. ‘You can’t keep your eyes off her, mate. Go over and talk to her,’ Bill said, sticking his elbow into Potter’s ribs.

Potter blushed again. ‘You think?’

‘If you don’t, I will,’ Bill chuckled.

‘In that case,’ Potter said, glaring at Weasley. He cleared his throat, ran a nervous hand through his hair, and stepped away from the table. Severus scowled at his drink while Weasley and the werewolf watched surreptitiously. Longbottom also stared at the table, though Severus knew full well that the boy was listening.

Movement caught his eye, and he spotted a large mirror on the wall. He watched in the mirror as Potter leaned casually against the bar and waited. When Helen turned to him, Potter smirked and said, ‘Bond. James Bond.’

Remus snorted into his drink, but the other three wizards at the table looked quizzically at each other. Who was James Bond?

To everyone’s amusement, Helen scowled at Potter. ‘This is a wizarding establishment, and yet you seem to know that I’d recognize the reference. Is this Make-Fun-of-the-Muggle-born Day? I suppose you can smell the likes of me from a mile off.’

Severus could see Potter’s shoulders tense, and the boy’s jaw dropped. ‘What? No, I --’

‘Did you want another drink?’ Helen asked with forced patience.

‘No … I’m sorry, I …. Sorry.’ Blushing and sheepish, Potter retreated. He looked crestfallen as he slumped into his chair.

‘What happened, Harry?’ Lupin asked, concerned. ‘I’ve used that line myself, once or twice, and it usually gets a laugh.’

‘She took offence to it. I didn’t think she’d be insulted, but she said she’s Muggle-born.’ He rubbed the back of his neck, apparently trying to ease an ache.

Damned Gryffindor. Always wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Lupin smiled gently. ’Don’t take it to heart, Harry. Some Muggle-borns are sensitive to that, you know.’

‘Hermione isn’t, though. And I was raised by Muggles … I guess I just didn’t think.’

So many retorts came to Severus’ mind that he couldn’t decide which to choose, and remained silent. He looked in the mirror and saw Helen watching him, and she looked amused. It dawned on Severus that maybe, just maybe, she knew exactly who had just tried to chat her up, and that there was a young woman in existence who wouldn’t fawn all over the be-damned Boy Who Lived. Not that it mattered to him; he just liked to see Potter taken down a notch.

He used his eyes to smile at her and raised his glass in a subtle salute.

She grinned briefly, but then her expression turned anxious. The girl -- what was her name? Helen? -- came over. She reached for the empty glasses, levitating the ones she couldn’t manage to hold in her hands. ‘I’ll get these cleared away for you,’ she said quietly.

Severus was confused, until she raised her eyebrows at him. She’d had to cover up his salute -- one of his companions had apparently seen the gesture.

Smart and beautiful. Impartially, this girl was better-looking than Hermione Granger, but he was struck by the rare combination of wit and attractiveness they shared.

His reverie was interrupted by Weasley, who beckoned Helen over to him. She made her way around the table, her hands still holding two butterbeer bottles and a small glass, the other two glasses hovering behind her. ‘Thought I’d better introduce myself.’ The redhead grinned up at her. ‘Potter. Harry Potter.’

Four mouths fell open at Bill Weasley’s blatant lie and four pairs of eyes looked at Helen to see how she reacted.

He was disappointed; she must not so bright after all; she drew in a deep breath, her face glowing with hero-worship. ‘Really?’

‘Yep. That’s me.’

Severus noticed that Potter’s face got even redder.

‘My hero,’ she said, eyeing the fang that dangled from Weasley’s left ear.

I’m going to hurk my guts out, Severus decided.

‘Yeah,’ Bill said, exhaling fumes into her face. He grinned widely. ‘So how about it?’

She looked at Weasley, her hand fluttering over her chest. ‘Oh … blimey, I don’t know what to say,’ she sputtered, looking every bit the flattered, empty-headed damsel.

Severus relaxed, relieved; she couldn’t be that thick. Then he wondered why he was relieved. He saw Longbottom out of the corner of his eye, and smirked at the look of concern on the young man’s face.

‘Say yes, and make my day,’ Bill was crooning.

‘No,’ Helen crooned back, smiling sweetly. Without missing a beat, the glasses in her hands joined their companions in the air. She reached out to Potter and brushed the fringe back from his wide green eyes, exposing the telltale scar. ’Did you really think I wouldn’t notice?’ she accused, raising one eyebrow at Weasley.

The redhead gaped, Potter grinned, Longbottom and Lupin laughed out loud, but Severus frowned. There was something eerily familiar about this girl, and he didn’t like the feelings she woke in him. Thoughts of that sort were for Hermione, and Hermione alone.

If she wanted him, which was unlikely. Severus scowled at the table. He wanted something stronger than Butterbeer. He got up, saying, ‘The same?’ The Gryffindors nodded, Lupin giving him a perplexed look.

Severus ignored it; he just wanted a moment to collect his thoughts. Helen filled his order quickly, a small smile on her face. When she placed the Firewhisky in front of him, she asked conspiratorially, ‘Were you blackmailed, then, that you are sitting at a table with four Gryffindors, Professor Snape?’

‘Close to it,’ he admitted ruefully. He thanked her quietly, paid for the drinks, and a mental Leviosa had the drinks following him to the table, where they settled themselves in the centre. Lupin thanked him, and the younger men followed suit.

He wasn’t sure how to phrase this, so he wouldn’t appear to the others like a dirty old man. He wasn’t interested in Helen, to be sure -- though it wouldn’t seem much better when he made his interest in Hermione Granger known -- but appearances were everything to a Slytherin. He frowned into his Firewhisky. Sod it, he decided. ‘What do you know of her, Lupin?’

The werewolf shrugged. ‘She mentioned studies once, but other than that she’s pretty mum about herself. Won’t even tell me what she’s studying.’ He looked across the room at her. ‘I’ll admit -- I’m embarrassed that I don’t remember her from Hogwarts at all. She’s can’t be more than a year or two off Harry’s age, so I did teach her. You don’t remember her, Severus?’

‘She is familiar, but I can’t place her in a year or a House.’

A few minutes later, Helen walked past them, her hands full of empty glasses from another table. ‘May I disturb you for a moment, please?’ Lupin asked.

Helen’s smile looked strained again, and Severus winced. Oh, Lupin, not you, too. You’re too much trouble for the likes of her. ‘Would you like another drink?’ she asked.

‘I’d like to drink in your beauty for the rest of my life,’ he said, gazing at her face.

She rolled her eyes. ‘That’s about another ten seconds if you don’t stop chatting me up.’ But she smiled gently after she said it.

Potter and Weasley chortled as Remus saluted her with his glass. ‘Pity. Smart and beautiful,’ the werewolf replied quietly.

‘How can you say I’m smart when I just turned you down?’ Helen tilted her head a bit, and Severus was reminded of Hermione again. He wondered where she was, that she hadn’t joined them for a drink; Lupin said he’d invited her, after all.

Lupin grinned wolfishly. ‘You’re smart enough to turn down the likes of me.’

Her face softened. ‘Flatterer.’ She smiled and walked away, glasses floating along behind her like ducklings.

Remus leaned back, lacing his fingers together behind his head, looking terribly smug. Weasley and Potter gaped, and Severus snapped, ‘Don’t look so shocked. She still turned him down.’

‘And it’s a good thing, too,’ Longbottom said, wagging a disapproving finger in the werewolf’s direction. ‘Tonks would have a fit.’

‘I knew Helen wouldn’t take me seriously,’ Lupin replied, shrugging.

‘What does Remus have that Bill and I don’t? She was mean to us,’ Potter griped.

‘You call threatening to kill him being polite, Potter?’ Severus asked incredulously.

Lupin leaned his elbows on the table, cutting off Potter’s retort. ‘Listen, Mr Bond and Mr Potter,’ he said, pointing respectively at Potter and Weasley as he addressed them. ‘What was the difference between how you two addressed her, and how I addressed her?’

It was Longbottom who answered, after a moment of silence. ‘You paid her a compliment.’

‘Right you are, Neville,’ Lupin said, grinning. ‘Focus on the woman, boys. Not yourselves.’

Potter seemed to think about it, while the redhead just looked puzzled. Severus decided that the bemused look on Weasley’s face explained a lot, and he sneered into his Firewhisky.

Longbottom’s hand shook as he brought his Gillywater to his mouth. Severus could read the kid like a book; he was planning an attempt on the lovely lady himself. The older man was surprised. He’d never seen evidence of the clichéd Gryffindor bravado in the twerp before.

Then again, the boy had never once skived off a Potions class. That took guts, purposely walking into the den of the wizard who scared him more than anything else, two or three times a week for five years. Perhaps Alice and Frank’s son had some pluck after all.

Neville stood up and walked over to the bar. His friends elbowed each other, but Severus’ attention was momentarily focussed on the table, where Longbottom’s cloudy, damp handprints were slowly fading. He also listened as Neville spoke to Helen, and watched in the mirror.

‘D … do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?’

It was obvious that Helen was trying not to laugh, though Severus didn’t know why she bothered. He closed his eyes in agony as Weasley and Potter both snorted with laughter, keeping their outbursts muffled. Lupin leaned forward, resting his head in his folded arms, and shook in silent mirth. In the mirror, he saw that she glanced in their direction. She took in the sight of Longbottom’s friends were having a laugh at his expense, so she just smiled and said, ‘No need. But no, thanks.’

Severus nodded fractionally. If Hermione spurned his advances this summer -- and she probably would -- he might come back to this pub. Here was a woman who was honest and intelligent. If her reactions to his companions’ advances were anything to go by, he could trust Helen Campbell to take or break his heart cleanly.

But then he scowled, and slammed the rest of the Firewhisky down. He felt disloyal to Hermione, thinking such a thing about Helen.

Back at the bar, Longbottom tried again. ‘A beautiful woman like you must intimidate a lot of men, but I was a Gryffindor,’ the boy declared.

At the table, Severus rolled his eyes, while the other three Gryffindors chuckled quietly.

Helen just smiled. ‘You’re Neville Longbottom, aren’t you?’

Severus could see the boy grin in the mirror. ‘Yeah,’ he replied.

‘Thank you for the compliment. You’ve cute, but,’ she said, leaning forward conspiratorially, ‘I’m scared of Gryffindors.’

Neville’s mouth opened, then closed as he tried to work a way around what she’d said. After a moment he nodded and came back to the table.

‘She called me cute,’ Neville said, his ears glowing.

‘She’s more than cute herself … she has a face that could launch a thousand ships,’ Lupin rhapsodised. He sighed dramatically until Potter’s elbow came into sharp contact with his ribs. ‘Ow.’

Weasley gently cuffed Severus in the gut. ‘All right, Severus, it’s your turn.’

Severus scowled into his empty glass. He had no intention of playing this game. He’d learned a long time ago not to mess with other people like that, which was why he had always blatantly shown his contempt for the Marauders and their ilk, and his preference for his own Slytherins, out in the open. ‘No.’

‘It’s just a bit of fun, Severus,’ Lupin protested.

‘You are revolting.’ Furious, Severus stood up. ‘I cannot believe I’ve stayed here this long.’

‘But Severus --’ the werewolf began.

Severus leaned onto the table with both hands, sneering at Lupin. ‘I don’t have fun at other people’s expense. You, of all people, should know why,’ he snarled. He strode away from the table and found himself face-to-face with Helen. ‘Miss Campbell,’ he said.

She looked apprehensive, and Severus couldn’t blame her. ‘Professor?’

‘I wish that I could apologize for their behaviour.’

She sighed. ‘That’s kind of you to say so.’

Kind? That was a first. ‘Don’t tell anyone,’ he instructed.

‘Who would believe me?’ Helen asked, smiling slightly. He nodded and walked away. Just as he reached the door, he glanced back.

She was watching him. And she looked disappointed.

He stepped into the cold night air, but hesitated. The stars glittered in the sky, Gemini almost directly overhead. Severus knew it was odd, but he never thought of twins when he saw the stars that outlined two figures holding hands. He always thought of what Plato thought: that every person was not whole until they had found their other half, the love of their life.

Something about this Helen Campbell made him ache sweetly, tickling his ribs until it settled as a warm sensation where his withered, pathetic heart resided. Yes, she was easy on the eyes, but it was her ready wit, gentler than his own but still similar, that sparked his interest. He felt ashamed at his reaction to this woman … there was someone else whom he admired, who had been the object of his interest for some time. Potter, Weasley, Longbottom, and even Lupin had chatted this girl up only because she was beautiful. That was the very reason that Severus hadn’t tried; he knew what it was to be taken at face value, and he hated it. Especially when the face he saw in the mirror -- all sharp, ugly angles and frown lines -- was the only one he was able to present to the world.

There was something more to this. Staying in the shadows, Severus re-entered the pub, his eyes on this enigmatic woman. If he could just pinpoint it …. He narrowed his eyes, concentrating.

A slight waver in her face, like the shimmer of heat off the sand in a desert, and he recognized evidence of -- Got her. She was cloaked in a Glamour. He whispered the incantation that would allow him to see her true appearance without actually lifting the charm.

He started.

Hermione.

She glanced toward the door again, though she didn’t appear to see him.

He remembered his observation from earlier and took a deep breath. She had fancied him. And by the looks of things tonight, she still liked what she saw.

He had followed her academic career with great interest, happy in her successes and achievements, without giving himself credit for his own guidance. She had drawn his interest in her seventh year, and had remained in his mind every day since. The thought that she might return his feelings, or that hope even existed, had never occurred to him, until now; he was sure that he was going to have to work to earn her good opinion.

But he already had it.

And now he ached for her.

He remained in the shadows of the entryway, poleaxed, until another customer’s entry forced him back into the light. Their eyes met, and Hermione looked both anxious and pleased as Severus made his way to the bar.

Her face slightly flushed, she acknowledged him after she finished with her other customers. ‘Changed your mind? Shame on you, hitting on a former student.’

‘How do you like to kiss, Miss Granger?’ Severus murmured. Hermione’s mouth gaped open, and he frowned slightly, asking, ‘Why the Glamour?’

‘Please don’t call me that here,’ she murmured, looking around. Their eyes met again, and Hermione continued, ‘It’s easier to work without being worshipped as a war hero by every other customer. The attention is distracting and bad for business -- I can’t hold down a job without it.’ She glanced down at the glass she was filling with beer. ‘And I thought … when I started working here, I thought it would be nice to be pretty,’ Hermione added with a grimace.

‘I take it, then, that you believe yourself to be plain?’ he asked quietly, incredulous.

She shrugged, looking uncomfortable, and glanced back at the companions he’d just deserted.

He also looked over and saw all four of them watching with unfeigned interest. Sniffing loudly for their benefit, Severus turned back to her. ‘Hermione,’ he whispered. She looked up, surprise in her eyes. ‘You don’t need any charms or Glamours to make you appear beautiful. Hasn’t anyone told you that?’

She shrugged again, placing another pint on her tray. A wave of her wand charmed a tray of beer steins and wineglasses clean, and Hermione changed the subject. ‘What are you doing here tonight, anyway?’

‘I wish I could say it was the Imperius Curse, but I’m afraid I’ll have to settle for telling you that I lost a bet to Lupin.’ He gently took her hand in his, halting her busy activity. ‘Though I’ll admit, I’ve warmed up to the idea.’

‘Oh, you are going to regret this tomorrow. If you even remember it, which --’

‘I am not intoxicated,’ he interrupted. ‘One Firewhisky isn’t enough to affect me.’ He paused for a moment and then added, ‘Though you certainly are.’

‘Why did you come back?’ Her blue eyes hardened. ‘Looking for an easy lay?’ she accused.

‘Certainly not,’ he murmured over the din in the pub. ‘I’ve been biding my time, and I’d intended to say something after your apprenticeship with Leòn was finished. I hope I haven’t waited too long.’

Taken aback, Hermione looked at him with wide eyes. ‘W … waited? To do what?’

Severus ran his thumb over her knuckles. ‘For you to grow up. It wouldn’t be fair, you see, to woo you, no matter how mature for your age you were. You had to find out who you were, without interference from me or anyone. But I asked how you like to kiss because I have every intention of finding out, Hermione.’

Her lips parted and her eyes softened, and something flopped in his gut. Perfect.

Almost
perfect -- ‘Why are your eyes still blue? I can see through everything else,’ he asked, curious.

‘Contact lenses, to change the colour. It isn’t part of the Glamour.’

‘Campbell!’ Hermione jumped, yanking her hand from Severus’. An older man, presumably the pub’s proprietor, scowled at them. ‘I don’t pay you to get chatted up. Get to work!’

Severus scowled back at the bar’s owner as Hermione blushed. ‘I do have to get to work, but please,’ she said, looking into his eyes, ‘don’t leave yet.’

He quirked an eyebrow at her, and was very gratified to see that her blush deepened. ‘Waiting a little longer for you won’t kill me.’

Hermione went back to her duties, and he walked like a man intoxicated back to his cohorts. ‘What happened?’ Lupin asked as Severus sat. ‘You were leaving, and now you’re back. And it’s fairly obvious she’s interested. What did you say?’

Severus smirked. ‘I simply told her the truth.’

All five men turned to look at Helen. She smiled back, dazzling all five of her suitors.

Fin

***

One more thing: Gray has posted a very cute fanart for this stort; I encourage everyone to go take a look: http://www.deviantart.com/view/30717246/


The Truth by Keladry Lupin [Reviews - 74]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved