Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
General

Restraint by AngelQueen [Reviews - 11]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Restraint
Chapter Four: The Madness
by AngelQueen





Hermione rested for the next three days in the Hospital Wing, watched meticulously by the familiar-but-younger Madam Pomfrey. She saw nothing of Albus, or any of the other staff members. And to be perfectly honest, she was surprised that Madam Pomfrey was even at Hogwarts. Hermione was well aware that over the summer break, the entire staff sans the Caretaker and the Keeper of the grounds left Hogwarts for their respective homes. In the end, she’d concluded that Albus must have called the Mediwitch back as a personal favor or something to that effect.

But on the fourth day, Hermione found herself surprised yet again. She reclined restlessly on her bed in the infirmary, itching to leave. That morning, Madam Pomfrey had given her a set of midnight blue robes to change into, but had not given her any information as to if she’d be permitted to leave the Hospital Wing.

So, when Minerva McGonagall stepped into the room, Hermione had, at first, thought she was home again. The stern woman’s appearance was not overly different than the one she was accustomed to seeing so frequently. But as the older woman had come closer to her, Hermione was then able to pick out the subtle differences that existed between this woman and the one she knew.

There was, to begin with, less grey in her black mane, though it was pulled back in the same severe bun it was always in. She was not, however, wearing the severe teaching robes she wore during the school term, but instead she had a simple set of green summer robes on. Her dark eyes were different as well, though, this time, Hermione felt more prepared for it. This time, she knew they were different in the same way that Albus’ eyes had been. The fond recognition she had come to know was conspicuously absent, replaced by a healthy dose of suspicion and wariness.

“Miss Granger, I presume,” Minerva asked crisply, not making time for any manner of pleasantries.

Hermione nodded, standing up from the bed.

“Minerva McGonagall,” she briskly identified herself, “Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts and Head of Gryffindor House.” She paused, glanced around, and then added quietly with a stern glance, “But you probably already knew that.”

So, Albus had told her, Hermione quickly deduced. She knew she should feel alarmed, as the larger number of people that knew where she had come from, the more dangerous and unstable the timeline could very well become. But the only thing Hermione felt was a great sense of relief. Now she had two people in which she could confide a limited amount of information in, if she ever had the need.

But, she added silently, given the forbidding expression on the older witch’s face, she might not be given a chance to confide anything. She had to remember that these people did not know her at all, despite that she had known them for a good portion of her life. She could not expect them to trust and accept her in the way they had done in her time.

Minerva did not wait for a verbal reply, but had quickly gone and spoken to Madam Pomfrey in her office. Within a few minutes, she had returned and curtly ordered Hermione to follow her as she all but stormed out of the Hospital Wing.

It did not take long for her to determine their intended destination: the Headmaster’s office. Hermione was, actually, rather relieved. Albus must want to speak to her about the measures he had taken to find her a way back to her own time period. Better to avoid the temptations that came with her current situation. When they came to a halt before the all too familiar gargoyle, Minerva said to it, “Hot cocoa.” As the statue opened, she turned to Hermione, “The Headmaster awaits you. I suspect you know the way.”

And with that, she was making her way back down the hallway. Hermione watched her briefly, but then quickly stepped onto the stairs as they began their ascent. When she reached the top, she rapped lightly on the door. She heard a faint, “Ah, come in,” and then entered.

The Headmaster’s office, much to her shock, was barely recognizable. The shelves were covered in thick blankets of dust and there were several half-empty boxes scattered everywhere. As she looked around, Hermione noted that the portraits of the previous Headmasters of Hogwarts were all looking at the mess as well, their expressions varying between curiosity and stern disapproval.

Hermione shook her head and looked around again, searching for Albus, but the only familiar being she saw was Fawkes, who was sitting quite comfortably on his perch. From behind her, she heard the voice of Dilys Derwent squawk shrilly, “Oh, for Merlin’s sake! Albus Dumbledore! You have a visitor! Show some manners!”

Almost immediately, Albus’ head appeared from behind a rather large stack of boxes. He blinked owlishly for a moment, and then smiled. “Ah, Miss Granger! How lovely to see you. Please, have a seat. I shall be with you in one moment.”

Hermione nodded, “Of course, Albus.”

“Please forgive the mess,” he continued cheerfully as he rummaged through one box after another. “I am just now moving in and have yet to get everything in order. Minerva was most irate with me about this.” He stood back up from behind the stack and began to rifle through the box on top. She could hear him muttering, “I’m sure it has to be here somewhere… Ah ha!”

Hermione seated herself in one of the uncomfortable chairs in front of the large desk and watched as his opulently-clad body appeared and made his way to seat himself at his desk. In his hands was a small snow globe. He set it carefully on a stack of papers, and then looked up to rest his twinkling gaze on her. “Congratulations on the promotion,” she said quickly.

“Thank you, my dear. Madam Pomfrey tells me that you have made an excellent recovery,” he said cheerfully. “Much more quickly than she would have anticipated, actually.”

Hermione smiled slightly and nodded. “Well, let’s just say that I’ve been a slightly regular visitor to the Hospital Wing and I know that the more quickly I heal, the more quickly I can get out of the healer’s way.”

“Excellent. Now, I am sure you came here hoping I would have information on how to send you back to your home, Miss Granger. Alas, I am unable to give you what you wish for.”

Her brown eyes widened in apprehension. “Albus,” she said urgently, “It is imperative that I return to where I belong. The longer I stay the more risk of damaging the timeline. I-”

The older man raised his hand, cutting her off. “I assure you, I am aware of this, Miss Granger. But this is unique situation. Traveling backwards in time is not a strange thing to wizards, but going forward is unheard of. We are in uncharted territory here.” He stared at her over the edges of his glasses. “I have only informed Minerva of your… identity, as she is my new Deputy and should know what is going on within the castle. Besides, she most certainly would have discovered this on her own within time and I can assure you, she would have been most upset with both of us for keeping such an important matter from her. Now, I will say that I do wish to inform one other person of this,” Hermione automatically began to protest, but Albus continued regardless, “My friend and partner, Nicholas Flamel. Although he is rather adept in the area of alchemy, he is also quite knowledgeable in many other subjects as well. I feel he might be able to help us.”

Hermione bit her lip, considering his words. She knew he was right. For all of Albus’ eccentric genius, the two of them would not be able to solve this alone. And in this time period, there was no one she could think of trusting at the Ministry that could be of any help. And, oh, Nicholas Flamel! A chance to meet him! The academic part of her mind nearly swooned at the thought. Albus’ mentor, partner, and friend, not to mention one of the most famous wizards alive. Repressing a gleeful smile, Hermione nodded. “Very well then.”

“Good! Now, Nicholas and his wife, Perenelle, are currently on holiday in Italy and shall not return to their home in Scotland until the spring of next year. So, while you and I will certainly do what little we can, you must have something else with which to occupy your time.” Albus’ twinkle seemed to grow brighter.

Starting slightly at the sudden excitement on his face, Hermione immediately began to feel uncomfortable. He was up to something.

Before she could ask, he began to explain. “With Headmaster Dippet’s retirement, my promotion, as well as Minerva’s to Deputy Headmistress and Transfiguration Professor, I find I am in need of a new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. I believe you informed me during our little chat that you are an Auror, correct? With a little help, you could become an excellent instructor to our impassioned youth here at Hogwarts, Miss Granger.”

Hermione said nothing. She could only gape at him, stunned into silence. She was currently residing in a timeframe thirty years before her own. Was it possible Albus had been under a foreign influence during this time? He was mad enough in her time, but none of the insanity she had witnessed before could even match this!

Defense Professor! He wanted her to remain at Hogwarts! He wanted her to be near all of the students! Near them! She just knew she would go mad in trying to keep herself from succumbing to the temptations their mere presence would encroach on her psyche. He was mad! No matter the small voice inside her mind that was singing happily at the thought of doing something she had wanted to do since she had been a child.

But another voice whispered darkly of all the good she could do. Of just who she could help if she was a Professor at Hogwarts. Her authority over the students could actually provide her some influence over the lives of her potential students. She could prepare them for what was coming. She would have the power to protect him…

But Albus was still mad, she concluded as she violently buried the enticing murmurings. To put that kind of power in her hands, he had to be truly, utterly, unquestionably, mad.

When she told him so, however, he merely laughed. “Madness, my dear Miss Granger, changes with perspective. One thing we should do, however, is provide you with a little something to hide behind. For the sake of the timeline, I suggest we perform a slight altering of your name. I was thinking of perhaps Hermione Gragner. It is similar enough to your own name, but no one would question it. Who would think to, after all?”

Hermione nodded vaguely, still rather dazed. All she could think was that he was mad. More mad than Crookshanks in the spring.

“Albus,” she finally managed to force out quietly. She stared at him a moment, trying to be certain that she had his attention as well as gathering her own scattered thoughts and feelings. “Think about this carefully. You’d be placing me in a position where I would be facing people I know, only in the bodies of children.” Hermione gazed at him fiercely. “Many of them, I know what will become of them. Can you truly understand that? I would have to contend with the temptations to warn them, and in the case of some, attempt to spare them their intended fates.”

The Headmaster stared back at her, his playful twinkle vanishing from his blue eyes. “Miss Granger… Hermione… I cannot even begin to imagine what this is going to be like for you. Yes, I have no doubt that you will be beset by the allurements you have just mentioned. And I know you will be hard pressed to overcome them.” He stopped briefly, and in that moment, she could almost see the tired old man she one day come to know. Hermione bit her lower lip, suddenly feeling the urge to weep. Even when looking at him, she could feel the compulsion to declare everything, to spare him of the heartache he would have to endure. The deaths of Lily and James Potter, an innocent Sirius Black being sent to Azkaban, the brutal torture and murder of Daphne Greengrass-Malfoy when she had been discovered spying on her husband and father-in-law… and so much more. And it all weighed heavily on the shoulders of a man who felt a duty to bear the burden, for the sake of a future he knew he would likely not live to see…

Unaware of Hermione’s thoughts, Albus continued. “But I also know your strength will help you to preserve the knowledge you hold. I truly believe… you can do this.”

“How,” she whispered desolately, the tears she had been seeking so desperately to starve off coming to fill her brown orbs and spill down her pale cheeks, all despite her best efforts. “How can you know? I know you, but you don’t know me. Not yet. How do you know I can do this without confessing all, or going mad?”

He smiled softly and replied, “You were brought here for a reason, my dear. I cannot yet fathom just what that reason is, but I have no reason to fear it does not exist. If the deities did not believe that you had the strength to stand amongst the children of this time and stand firm, then you would not have been chosen.”

Hermione bowed her head slightly, considering his words. If there was one thing that Albus Dumbledore excelled at, then it was the ability to make the people near him to feel invincible, that they could conquer all that stood in their path. Harry had told her of the numerous times Albus had managed to instill confidence in the younger wizard, even in Harry’s darkest and most turbulent days. Harry’s interactions with the Mirror of Erised, the aftermath of his encounter with a Voldemort-possessed Professor Quirrell, the list just went on and on.

And today, once again, Albus’ had worked his special kind of magic and had succeeded. Looking up at him, Hermione took a deep breath and nodded tremulously.

“I’ll do it.”




Author's Notes

First off: I wanted to advertise the fact that the Multifaceted Awards are going through the first round of voting. There are several stories there that are posted here at Ashwinder. I just thought I'd urge everyone to vote and support our fellow Hermione/Severus writers. The link is in my profile.

Now, I know Severus has not been making much of an appearance, and for that, I do apologize. I've been trying to get Hermione to think about him in the past two chapters, but she, being the ever-practical girl that she is, has kept her head filled with more immediate matters.

Fear not, however. The next chapter is completely outlined and Hermione has even allowed for a moment featuring thoughts on our snarky Potions Master.

One last thing: Winter Quarter classes are starting to pick up. I've a Political Science test on Tuesday and a History Paper due on Thursday. I'll do my best to work on the next chapter whenever I can find the time, but I thought I'd warn you ahead of time that it might be a little late. It might not, but I still thought it would be best to let you, oh dear wonderful readers and reviewers, be informed.

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed this latest chapter! :)

AQ


Restraint by AngelQueen [Reviews - 11]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved