Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Angst

The Heir by Sarablade [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

He laughed at her jut of wit over the last volte-face in the price of Chinese coals futures and its influence on America's policy in the Middle East. Something maybe two hundred people in the whole world could understand, and maybe twenty find humor in.

She squared herself in her armchair, enjoying this interview as some would a date… The very smell of the coffee before her was expensive and pampering.

The man wiped his platinum-ringed glasses. "Right. Still... I am still confused, Ms. Granger, by this hole in your resume. Almost five years now since you left a very promising position with Goldman Sachs… and then… nothing?" As if he really cared, employment-wise. The great Jimmy Cagan wanted her back at GS headquarters, it was recommendation enough. But he was curious about her life.

His was a different kind of power than Snape's, she thought of the well-coiffed man in the Savile Row bespoke suit facing her. Craggily handsome with wide good bones and a square strong face, smooth demeanor, well-rounded; sure of his intelligence and comfortable with his CEO's might to move billions around the globe. Safe in the knowledge of the golden parachute awaiting him if at some time he didn't see eye to eye with his shareholders. Witty. It could have been her, if she'd remained in the Muggle world after Harvard instead of trying to procreate a new breed of wizard with Lucius…

"I understand Mr. Snape updated you in this matter a few months ago… I had some private business to take care of. It's over now, and I can once again pursue my career. I surmise," she knew, because Jimmy had mailed her immediately clamoring for a current phone number and her return to his department- money no object- "you talked to James Cagan from Goldman S as I suggested in my application letter, and his word should be recommendation enough. He was kind enough to mention a possible opening in New York, but at this time of my life it is important for me to stay in London… even if that means a smaller compensation package at the beginning." She shrugged slightly. "Or I can work the first semester for percentages only…"

"He called you, ah- a witch at divining market trends."

She smiled. She wouldn’t use magic in her Muggle financial analyst job, only math and intuition.

But... The markets talked to her, the way Arithmancy had all those years before. She liked commodities- raw materials- best, but even the volatile fluctuations of high-tech options were more often than not an open book to her potions-irritated, tired eyes. She hadn't lied when she promised Snape she'd be well-off after she landed a job. Which he'd just allowed her to do. Better: he'd secured the Court's agreement to her working in Muggle London as part of Em's adoption papers, and landed her an interview with a private banking world leader.

"I have a knack," she smiled at the man who was about to become her new boss. "That's why I could offer myself a break. If worse comes to worst I can always play the markets privately, and not go hungry." Provided I'm allowed to cross the Muggle barrier every morning. "But I like the analyst part better, and I like playing in a big kid's courtyard. Like yours…."

The man across the ebony expanse was openly scrutinizing her, and liking what he saw. It would be no hardship to accede to the Snape playboy's request and give a job to his little protégée. Although he'd be damned before he saw what she saw in the aging heir… like everybody else apparently.

The chemistry teacher held little more than a token participation in the bank anymore, and still the whole Board danced to his tune…

But who was he to complain? Against nothing more than a promise to find a job for the girl, Jason Gisbert had been promoted by the Snape playboy's influence on his faraway cousins to CEO of the SPNH-VCF private bank but two weeks before.

And she seemed like a damned good recruit anyway. Not too hard to rest your eyes on, either, although she looked much older than her years. This off-time she'd taken must not have been a ball, but she was undeniably attractive. And yet she was with Snape…

He still tried to understand how this whisky-lover had forsaken a career in banking to go teach chemistry beyond the Hills of Darkness. With his obvious charm on people he could have been an MP….

But then, he thought dismally, Snape had been born into money, and his outlook on life was different. Less of a go-getter than Gisbert himself, more like his two teenaged sons, who were also born into (his hard-earned) money, and like their mother seemed more interested to spend it than to earn more. His banker mien kept his forehead smooth even as he recalled the last spat in the morning with bottle-blonde, botoxed Claire Gisbert over the upcoming Gstaadt ski hols. He wanted them to try for a daughter, been wanting to for years, and she was concerned about her figure and her skiing. She'd also been born into money, he reflected. He'd try to steer his boys towards a working girl who'd gone up the ladder by herself… like he'd done.

Like the woman in front of him.

He forced a smile on his thin, pliable lips. "Well, I'll take you to HR to finalize the compensation package, but… welcome on board, Ms. Granger. How come you didn’t complete your PhD, by the way? From your list of publications you weren't far away…"

"Maybe I will. Thank you, sir. I'll endeavor not to disappoint."

"I do hope you'll disappoint Jimmy Cagan." They both smiled.

"One more thing, sir…"

"Yes?"

"By six pm I'll have to go home, every day. I'll be available from ten, though. All night if need be. I'll… maybe you want to communicate this to Human Resources. I know it's a little unusual, but…"

"On top of working only four days a week? You drive a hard bargain, Ms. Granger."

She needed time for brewing. "I promise I'll be working so hard you'll barely feel it, sir. Overall. And… whatever you'll mail me during my off day will be done by next morning."

A child was involved. He was perceptive enough to recognize the single mother's undertones in her behavior, the inflexibility over the hours, the easy readiness to forgo sleep... to keep everybody happy at her own expense.

After all, he'd grown up with one such old-before-her-age lioness himself. He'd never thought Snape would get involved with a mother, he thought inconsequently…

"You'll be working directly for me... especially as you seem to like my coffee. And if you give me satisfaction as I hope you will, working from home part time will not be an issue. Nor paying for a babysitter."

Her silent smile made his chest hurt for his own mother, her torn face each evening she'd had to bring in an "aunty" and go to a night shift.

Hurt for his boys, chucked by their mother to babysitters at every occasion. This one obviously wanted to shower and tuck her child in herself. Maybe it was a little girl?

"Thank you sir. I do appreciate." Her handshake was pleasant, but where he had expected smooth hands hers ware calloused and scarred.

"Call me Jason." He kept her hand in his a little too long. "Good luck… Ms. Granger."

"Thank you… Jason. Hermione, then."

His mother had loved Shakespeare, too.


The Heir by Sarablade [Reviews - 3]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved