Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Ficlets & Drabbles

What Goes Around by Melusin [Reviews - 14]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

A/N:Many thanks to my betas, septentrion and sempra, for all their hard work and encouragement. This is the last chapter, barring a short epilogue. Thanks to all of you who have read and reviewed. As a bonus, I will be uploading a smutty one-shot at a later date, which follows on from where this chapter leaves off. Hope that makes sense.




'Incarcerus!'

'Petrificus Totalus!'

Hermione barely registered the outraged, angry cries or the hexes flying behind her. She was only aware of blood. Lots of blood, Severus' blood, and the fact that he was horribly still. Moving would mean accepting this unwelcome reality, and so she remained where she was.

A high-pitched, keening wail shattered Hermione's inertia. Startled, she watched Purdy bound over to Severus' side and winced, covering her ears as the distraught elf shrieked a second time.

Eljay materialised alongside her, closely followed by another elf, and another, until Severus was completely surrounded. And then they began to sing.


A hush descended over the common room as everyone stopped to watch and listen. None of those present would ever forget the scene (although they would later be hard-pressed to describe the peculiar chanting), for as long as they lived. The event would pass into Slytherin legend, a tale the grandchildren of those who witnessed it would never tire of hearing. Hermione would always liken the elf-song to a hummingbird's beating wings. But lovely though it undoubtedly was, the sound of Severus groaning as he regained consciousness was far more beautiful to her ears than any music would ever be.


'Hermione...?' Severus wheezed.

Finding her feet again, Hermione dashed forward, the elves parting to let her through. She knelt at Severus' side, taking his hand in hers. 'I'm here, Severus. Don't try to speak.' Oh, thank God, thank God. 'You're going to be all right.'

He looked so terribly pale. Tenderly, she pushed a long strand of hair off his face and turned to the elves. 'I don't know what you did, Purdy, but thank you for acting so quickly. Now, please take us to the hospital wing.'

Severus' eyes fluttered open. 'Take care... of my house...'

'Severus, I—'

'Stay...'


Hermione reluctantly let go of his hand and sighed. Her mantle of responsibility had never felt so onerous. 'I'll join you as soon as I can.' Sitting back on her heels, she gestured to Purdy. 'Take good care of him.'

'Purdy is always taking care of Headmaster Snape,' the elf replied before gently cradling his body and disappearing.

With Severus gone, Hermione's focus shifted to the others in the room. Some of the older Slytherins were wearing knowing smirks, but the majority, elf and human alike, were waiting expectantly for her orders. Then she noticed the bound and immobilised Burbage.


It had been a long time since Hermione had felt such cold anger. Waving aside the prefects still guarding him at wand-point, she released him from the full Body-Bind but left the ropes intact.

Burbage glared at her. 'You're no better than he is,' he sneered. 'Go on, hex me. You know you want to.'

'I wouldn't give you the satisfaction,' she replied icily. 'How could you do such a thing?'

He laughed. 'Easily. Death Eater scum. He—'

'Save it for the Aurors. Eljay...' Hermione handed the key to the elf. 'Open up the Tower. I'll be there presently.'


~ HGSS ~



'Any news, Minerva?' asked Albus.

'Poppy's filling him with Blood-Replenishing Potion as we speak,' Minerva replied. 'He'll be fine in a day or two.'

Albus looked relieved. 'That was a selfless act on his part.'

'Why can't you admit it, man?' Minerva cried. 'Severus is a hero!'

'Well, he's certainly brave—'

'Say it!'

'Alright, alright. He's a hero. Satisfied?'

'Very.' Minerva glanced around the office. 'Phineas not back yet?'

Albus snorted. 'Still with Salazar. He's going to be insufferable for... oh, the next century or so. You do know that, don't you?'

'Och, let the man have his moment.'


Albus smiled wryly. 'On a more serious note, the governors have called an emergency meeting.'

'Oh, dear.' Minerva sighed. 'It may have been a major lapse of judgement on Hermione's part, but I hope they won't be too hard on her.'

'No, indeed.' Albus stroked his beard thoughtfully. 'Even though some of us had our doubts about Burbage, no one could have known he was a psychopath—Hermione included.'

'True,' Minerva agreed. 'And right now, she's too worried about Severus to care if they ask her to resign or not.'

'Is she still with him?'

'She hasn't left his side.'


'He's lucky to have her,' Albus conceded.

'Albus...?' Wide-eyed, Minerva pointed at his hat. 'There are flashing letters...'

He groaned, remembering his bet with Phineas. 'What does it say?'

'It-it says, "Gryffindors suck Slytherins rule",' Minerva replied, putting her hand over her mouth.

'Could've been worse, I suppose.'

'Depends how you read it... Anyway,' she said hastily, 'must be off. Have to spread the good news...'

Wearily, Albus removed his hat. 'You've no idea how lucky...'

The day Severus' portrait joined their ranks, he would be comforted by the knowledge that his love would soon follow. Albus envied him that.


~ SSHG ~



Book lying forgotten at his side, Severus was enjoying the late afternoon sunshine while keeping a critical eye on the elves toiling in his garden. He'd made a half-hearted protest for appearances sake, but letting them help had seemed the least he could do after everything they'd done for him. That said, weeding the parterres and clipping the box-hedging was as far as his concession went and no further.

Severus' hand instinctively touched the dressing on his neck when Purdy looked his way to ensure he was resting. He scowled. Such a fuss. You'd swear he'd never been hexed before.


Huffing, Severus wriggled against the cushions that were wedged behind his back and closed his eyes, inhaling the scent of the honeysuckle that was scrambling up the wall behind him. He felt old. And tired. He hadn't needed a Healer to tell him his body wasn't as resilient as it used to be; it was self-evident, but that didn't excuse all this mollycoddling.

Bloody females. They were clucking around him like mother hens. Purdy, Poppy—even the portraits were trying to get in on the act—and... Hermione... Well, he supposed he didn't mind her pampering him quite so much.


She had been the first thing he'd seen on waking up, brown eyes full of worry and looking like she hadn't slept in a week. Before he'd had a chance to ask, she'd told him the evacuation had gone well and Burbage was in custody. Then she'd squeezed his hand, and he'd known that everything was going to be all right.

Adjusting the blanket that was tucked around his legs, Severus opened his eyes... and there she was, chatting to the elves about something. Corvus, landing on his customary perch, cawed out a greeting and was rewarded with a smile.


Good. He's awake, Hermione thought, walking towards him. Severus was still looking pale, fragile even, in spite of all the potions Poppy had administered. 'Purdy tells me you've been behaving yourself,' she said, sitting beside him on the garden seat.

He snorted. 'As if I have a choice in the matter.'

'Now, you know Poppy only released you on condition you do nothing taxing.' Hermione resisted the temptation to plump up his pillows. 'You need to get your strength back.'

'Interfering old harridan,' he grumbled, but there was little venom in it. 'So. How did it go with the governors?'


'We-ell...' Hermione began. 'I did offer my resignation—and they might’ve accepted if Draco Malfoy hadn’t known something the others didn’t.'

'Oh?'

'Yes... ' She stared straight ahead. ‘Someone in the Aurory told him Burbage never actually intended to harm anyone... until you arrived. Then...' She took a deep breath. 'He dreamt up the plot to lure you to Slytherin House and to-to...'

'Kill me.'

'Yes... And if any children died too, he thought it would be a price worth paying.' She paused. 'Which is why he's in St Mungo's being assessed, not Azkaban...'

'So. He's pleading insanity.'

Hermione nodded.


'The governors accepted I employed him in good faith, and...' Hermione pointed upwards. 'When they saw that, they couldn't talk about anything else.'

Severus followed her gaze up to the top of the newly revealed Slytherin Tower and smirked. Exceeded in height only by the Astronomy Tower, it was an imposing sight. 'I can imagine.'

'Hoisting Salazar's flag was a bit over the top, though.' She smirked back. 'Purdy's idea?'

'Eljay's. He didn't see why a perfectly good flagpole should go to waste.'

Folding her arms, Hermione leaned back against the seat. 'It can stay—until the end of term...'


'I wish I'd killed him when I had the chance,' she said after a brief silence.

'Hermione...'

'Now it looks like he might've wriggled his way out of Azkaban—'

'Let it go, Hermione.'

She stared at him. 'I thought you'd be baying for his blood.'

'For wanting vengeance?' Severus let out a long sigh. 'I know only too well how he feels; how grief can... gnaw at your soul. I feel only pity for him.'

Hermione had to bite her lip and turn away. She stared down the garden while she composed herself, focusing on the heady scent behind her.


'I love honeysuckle,' she said, hoping her voice sounded steadier than she felt.

'I know... Minerva told me.'

Cool fingers tentatively caressed the back of her hand. 'It's not exactly a bower, but I hoped you'd appreciate the gesture.'

Feeling tears pricking the corners of her eyes, Hermione squeezed Severus' hand. How easily the simple pleasure of sitting here, like this, could have been snatched away. And the honeysuckle... He'd planted it just for her.

'It's truly beautiful,' Hermione said. 'You've... accomplished much in a short time.'

'I'd like to think so,' he said softly, lacing his fingers with hers.


'It was Salazar's originally, you know,' Severus murmured, suppressing a sigh as her smaller thumb brushed his own. 'The garden, I mean.'

'Really?'

'Yes, Betty told me,' he explained. 'The lady founders loved it too and enjoyed walking here. Godric, however, was banned. Salazar took great pains to make sure he couldn't get in but could only admire it from his window.'

Hermione snorted, remembering her own attempts at searching for the entrance. 'That explains a lot. Tell me, did you ever look for it when you were Headmaster?'

'I had... more important things on my mind at the time.'


'Sorry, of course. Stupid of me.' Hermione tried to withdraw her hand, but he held on firmly.

'The garden wasn't ready to give up its secret. Although... ultimately, only a Head of Slytherin could have gained admittance...'

'I see.' She tried to look stern and failed. 'Oh, don't look so coy. You've always been head of Slytherin as far as the castle's concerned. The job's yours—if you want it.'

He grinned. 'I shall consider it.'

A cool breeze made them both shiver. Purdy left her weeding and approached them.

'It is time for Headmaster Snape to be going in.'


'A moment more, Purdy. I'm enjoying the fresh air.'

Purdy looked at them both disapprovingly but noted their linked hands.

'There,' said Hermione, casting a warming charm. 'Will that do?'

The elf nodded. 'Five minutes.'

Hermione glanced at Severus expecting to see the customary scowl on his face, but instead there was an indulgent smirk.

'You're being remarkable tolerant,' she observed.

'I owe that small creature my life—twice over.'

Puzzled, Hermione frowned.

'It was her, Hermione. Purdy. She followed me to the Shrieking Shack—despite my orders to stay put and her bond to Hogwarts. She saved my life.'


‘Oh...’ Hermione brought her free hand to her mouth in amazement.

'She brought me to the kitchens,' he continued, 'laid me on the Slytherin table, and then the elves sang me home. It was their voices... Haunting my dreams all these years, and I never knew. They never told me.'

'Oh, Severus.' It was too much for Hermione. Resting her head gently on his shoulder, she snuffled. 'I'm never letting you out of my sight again. Ever. And you're staying with me tonight, too. No buts. If you wake up needing anything in the night, I want to be there.'


'Bossy madam,' Severus grumbled, though his heart did a little somersault. 'Can't wait to get me in your clutches, can you? I shan't be up to much, mind, just so you know.'

Hermione grinned. 'I'll call Purdy, then, shall I?'

'No, wait.' Severus fumbled for his wand. 'I've been thinking. Do you remember, you once asked me about my Patronus?'

'Yes, of course, but you don't have to— No, really,' Hermione protested. 'Please. You have nothing to prove—'

'Maybe not.' He sighed. 'But perhaps this is something I need to do for myself. Call it an experiment, if you will.'


'You shouldn't exert yourself,' Hermione admonished, but there was a determined look on his face.

Severus leaned his head against hers. 'You must realise that in the days when I needed to cast a Patronus on a regular basis, I relied on a handful of trusted happy memories. There were precious few of those to draw on in my early life, and they all involved Lily.' He sighed as Hermione's arm snaked around him possessively. 'But... in these past months, while you have largely infuriated the hell out of me, I do not think I have ever been as... content.'


Hermione laughed. 'Do you really think it might’ve changed?'

'We won't find out unless I try.'

'Poppy said, "No magic", remember,' she countered.

'I won't say anything if you don't.'

'You're incorrigible.'

'I know.’ He chuckled. ‘And you love me for it.'

'Ye-es,' Hermione said. 'I suppose I do.'

‘Yes, well I... He swallowed hard.

Expecto Patronum!

With an indignant squawk, Corvus took wing as the white flash exploded from Severus' wand. Witch, wizard and elves cast their eyes skyward, gazing spellbound, as two ravens, one black, the other of purest light, circled each other in the early summer sky.


~*~ Finite ~*~



What Goes Around by Melusin [Reviews - 14]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved