Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Ficlets & Drabbles

What Goes Around by Melusin [Reviews - 13]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: See chapter 1.

A/N: Many thanks to Septentrion for the beta.




The murmuring voices in the Great Hall fell silent as Hermione stood up. The wizard on her right needed no introduction—though why he was there was the subject of intense speculation.

'It is my great honour to introduce our new Defence teacher, Professor Snape...'

'... Death Eater...'

'... what a conk...'

'... war hero...'

'... who joins us today...'

Reactions ranged from incredulous gasps to a raucous, standing ovation from the Slytherins. All eyes were on Severus as he rose to take a bow. No one noticed the malicious look on the face of Slytherin's Head of House.


'I would like a word, Headmistress.'

Hermione turned on the spiral staircase. 'Of course. Come up.'

In her office, Hermione offered Severus a chair, which he declined.

'I must insist on paying for... this.' He indicated the robe he was wearing. 'And the others.'

'Sorry, you've lost me.'

'The clothing. In my wardrobe?'

'Ah.' Hermione sighed. 'I think I know what’s happened. As I'm sure you're aware, Hogwarts' house-elves are free. It was quite a struggle, though, to get them to accept any wages—until they realised what they could do with the money.'

'What?'

'They love buying people presents.'


At Severus' thunderous expression, Hermione quickly explained the situation. The elves were paid for kitchen duties and cleaning the classrooms and public areas. Life skills had been introduced into the curriculum, which meant that each House was responsible for the cleanliness of the dormitories and common rooms. Members of staff were, however, at liberty to come to private arrangements with the elves in regard to their own quarters.

'Then why was a house-elf tidying up my papers this afternoon?’

'There was? Oh, no,' said Hermione. 'And I asked them to hunt around for some unused desks and cauldrons for you...'


The house-elf bowed low. Try as she might, Hermione couldn't break them of the habit.

'How may Purdy serve Headmistress of Hogwarts? Oh-oh...' Squeaking excitedly, Purdy bowed until her nose almost touched the carpet. 'And Headmaster Snape!'

'Professor Snape,' he corrected, noticing the large badge on the elf's toga sporting the slogan "Adopt a Wizard Week". He had a bad feeling about this. 'Now, who is responsible for these new robes?'

'Purdy,' Hermione interrupted. 'Professor Snape doesn't need adopting.'

Purdy flapped her ears, but looked defiant. 'Elves is having long memories.'

Hermione sighed in defeat. 'Take us to the lab.'


The transformation was startling. Severus stared around the state of the art potions laboratory in disbelief.

'I cannot accept this,' he said.

'Purdy tells me you prevented Alecto Carrow from using her as target practice.' Hermione's voice was gentle.

Severus pointed to one of the cauldrons. 'Solid gold. Have you any idea how much one of those things costs?'

'If it makes you feel any better,' Hermione replied, 'we'll agree that the equipment belongs to Hogwarts. But as for the robes...'

'I will not accept charity—especially from a house-elf! They must take them back.'

Smiling, Hermione shook her head.


'You've got no chance,' Hermione said. 'You could Incendio them if you wanted—but they'd only replace them. Best to accept their gift with good grace.'

While they had been arguing, Purdy had taken it upon herself to fetch some tea. Silly humans. Headmaster Snape needed new robes. Elves had provided new robes. Headmaster Snape was their hero. Headmaster Snape would get whatever Headmaster Snape wanted. Sighing, she left them to it.

Hermione poured the tea, glancing at the sulking wizard at her side. 'I suppose this is as good a time as any to tell me about your research.'


With curfew approaching, Severus was contemplating taking a stroll around the corridors but was afraid of what he might find on his return. Some scatter cushions and a rug had appeared since dinner, along with a painting of the Scottish Highlands above the fireplace.

Shaking his head, he gazed out the window. The lights were still burning in the Headmistress' office two storeys up. He wondered if she always worked this late, then, remembering his own tenure as Headmaster, realised that she probably did.

'Stuck in her ivory tower with only portraits for company.'

He didn't envy her one bit.








What Goes Around by Melusin [Reviews - 13]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved