Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Drama

The Tie That Binds by Laralee [Reviews - 4]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Characters are property of J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Universe. Thankfully, she allows me to borrow them for a bit of fun.

Chapter Three


The Maladies of Minerva McGonagall


The usually boisterous halls of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry now stood as still as the stone used to create them. Apart from the stifled clamour of the various portraits, the only sounds cutting through the earnest silence were the muffled footsteps and voices of the three generations of professors heading for the eighth floor. Minerva's desire to travel to the Headmaster's office made for a rather long walk given the pace the trio was moving. The Headmistress and her Transfiguration mistress ambled along, quietly conversing between themselves, leaving Severus to reflect on the Hogwarts he had left fourteen years before.

Snape had not been back since the final battle in May of 1998, and that was perfectly fine by him. The last year Severus had spent at the castle had been a hellish nightmare he wished to forget. Not wanting to return to the castle was one of the justifications he had tried using in his attempt to deny Hermione's request for help. He had never bothered to count the nights he had been haunted by images of the broken and battered castle. He often awoke in a pool of his own cold sweat, his heart beating furiously in his chest like a drum. The dreams had long since ceased, but the thought of rousing such a devilish monster from its sleep was enough to make Severus wary of returning. He realized his concerns of the castle's appearance were nonsensical the moment he entered its halls from Hermione's rooms.

Severus was surprised to learn the reconstruction had been so seamless given the state in which he last saw the castle. He looked to the floors and walls, trying to find any trace of the bloodstains, unnatural cracks or blast marks created by the frenzy of the second Wizarding War. It was a relief to find no such evidence of the bloody scar forever labeled as the Battle of Hogwarts. Every portrait, every stone, every wrought iron wall lamp was in its precise place, making Severus's memory of the chaos seem like a fragment of his overly imaginative mind. Halfway through his identification of the portraits, a sharp elbow from his old companion interrupted his intense examination.

"Severus, are you even listening to what I'm saying to you?"

Severus looked down to see the look normally reserved for day dreaming first years directed straight at him. "Of course, Minerva," he lied. "I was merely taking in the restorative work completed on the grounds."

"If that's the case, tell me, what do you have to say for it?"

"The castle looks better than I expected. It looks exactly as I remember it, down to the placement of the portraits."

"I wanted the students and the remaining staff to feel comfortable when the school reopened," Minerva began, running her hand along the smooth stone covering the corridor. "We must never forget those whose lives were lost within these walls, but to uphold their sacrifices, the Board of Governors decided the castle needed to be returned to its original state."

"Some people had a right fit concerning the placement of a war memorial," Hermione added, "but Minerva was adamant that the school should be defined as a school and not a burial site."

Minerva smiled at her protégé. "Absolutely. This is a place where young people come to shape their futures. I wanted them to have precisely that. Considering that most of the students who returned right after the war had lost someone close to them in the carnage that transpired here, it seemed unfair to have this veil of grief draped over them when they tried to move forward."

Severus remembered all too well the disarray of the reconstructive phase of the Wizarding World. He had vowed to keep himself completely out of the commotion, instead focusing on creating a life for himself outside the hub of Hogwarts. Severus disappeared from the public eye shortly after he had been pardoned by the Minster of Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt, for his supposed indiscretions during the Dark Lord's uprising. He understood the importance of moving forward once he was finally given the chance, but forgetting how he got there was something he could not fathom. "You can place a mask on an unsightly face, Minerva, but that does little to change the fact that the repulsiveness remains hidden beneath the façade."

"Unfortunately, you are right, Professor Snape," Hermione said suddenly. "The term following the war was one of the worst I have ever seen. The old wounds were still there for almost everyone. Some felt their loved ones' memories had been betrayed when the Governors decided on their course of action. Others were thrilled because they wouldn't have to be reminded of the hate and loss that gave way to one of the most terrifying times in their lives."

Minerva nodded her head in agreement. "Hermione would know considering she returned to complete her final year of education. She was an integral part of the restorative team as the voice of the student population."

Hermione looked to Severus eager to see his response but was disappointed when he opened his mouth with a reply.

"Of course she would be, Minerva," Severus said softly. He turned slightly to face Hermione, his almost inaudible tone icier than she could ever remember it being. "How else would the little Know-It-All prove herself? Helping Boy Wonder take down the Dark Lord simply wasn't enough. She had to have her hand in the reform."

Hermione's lips pursed in a fashion that could rival that of her former head of house as her anger boiled dangerously below the surface. How dare he say such a thing and in front of Minerva no less! Before she could help it, a bit of her anger seeped through her clenched teeth. "We couldn't all disappear from the world, Professor. Some of us didn't have that luxury. "

Before Severus could retaliate with more vitriol, Minerva interrupted him with another round of questioning. "Enough about Hogwarts, Severus. Tell me, how is that lucrative contract with St. Mungo's?"

"I would hardly call it lucrative, but it keeps me occupied."

"There will always be a need for someone with your skill set. Potion-makers who belong to the Most Extraordinary Society for Potioneers tend to work for themselves. It is such an admirable thing to offer your services to the public."

"Just doing my civic duty," Severus managed without sounding too incredibly uncomfortable with the conversation. "I have very little time outside of my contract for any private research or work. Apart from the Lacewing Fly findings, any new developments have been at a standstill. I do rather miss the independent research, but research for the sake of development leads to very few Galleons."

"You do know you would have no trouble returning to Hogwarts should you find yourself with such a desire. If I remember correctly, you had time for your independent research while teaching."

Severus had known this subject would eventually turn up once he arrived. However, he hadn't expected the topic to come up quite so quickly. Teaching at Hogwarts had been one of the most stressful aspects of his life. The job itself wasn't difficult, but rather the extracurricular activities he had been involved in during his tenure. Despite all of this, Severus knew Minerva was correct. While serving as Potions Master for Hogwarts he had ample time for independent research. Most of the information he gathered that would eventually lead to him being awarded with the prestigious invitation to the Potioneers Society was completed in the dungeon Potions labs. The prospect of extra time did little to squelch his apprehension of returning. Severus had no desire to return for the simple fact that he did not want to be reminded of the nightmare he lived through during Lord Voldemort's conquest for power. "I can assure you, Minerva, I have no aspiration to return to my old post."

"What a shame," said the Headmistress, her tone surprisingly hopeful after his refusal. "With Horace retiring this past term, I have had rotten luck finding a worthy candidate. I do hope you'll change your mind. Hogwarts has missed you."

"I'm sure if you asked him for the favour, Slughorn would return as interim professor until a more viable replacement is found." Hermione couldn't resist the opportunity to take another jab at Severus for the verbal lash he gave her moments before. "Merlin knows the students need a proper teacher."

"Of course he would," said Minerva. "Professor Slughorn is a decent man. He would want the students to receive the best possible education."

"Horace Slughorn is bordering on senility," Severus replied smoothly, a look of complete indifference on his face. "His methods are far too lenient. In a field such as his, leniency will result in loss of limb or worse."

Hermione was hoping Severus would criticize Slughorn's teaching abilities. She knew full well Severus could not deny Slughorn's skill, having been taught by the man himself, but she also knew the elder brewer was slipping. "All the more reason for you to return, Professor Snape. Your techniques, as I recall, were exceptionally effective."

Severus's permanent frown deepened as he realized his former student had not only called him out but put him in a spot yet again. Perhaps Hermione Granger had grown up after all or at least developed a scheming streak.

"No matter, Hermione," Minerva said as the group turned the corner to leading to the Grand Staircase. "It is still early. I'm sure our sardonic Potions Master will come around in good time."

Severus shot a menacing glare at Hermione, who simply shrugged her shoulders. He realized this was just the beginning of their solicitation. As they climbed the enchanted stairs, Severus remained quiet with the hope of keeping the two women off his case. He listened as the two nattered on about the new term until a coarse, quiet voice interrupted his thoughts. Severus turned, seeing nothing but empty air behind him.

"If it isn't Professor Snape." This time all three members of the group had turned to see a ghastly looking spectre taking shape. Within a few seconds, the figure of a broken man was floating glumly behind them. The Bloody Baron drifted in their direction, his heavy chains of penitence clanking morosely behind him. Severus had always been able to relate to the Bloody Baron, though he was the only soul who ever recognized the connection. As the Slytherin Head of House, Severus had had his share of conversations with the gaunt spirit given their close proximity. Severus was one of the few among the living who knew of the Baron's poignant act of betrayal. Remaining in limbo with the crushing guilt of a beloved life lost by his hand; the Baron's story reminded Severus of the guilt he felt when he learned of Lilly Potter's death. Severus, unlike the Bloody Baron, had been given a second chance at life, though he loathed every single second he spent wallowing her in her memory and his self-pity. Severus had since noticed the error in his behaviour, but that did little to bury the melancholic thoughts that plagued most of his adult life.

"I didn't expect to see you within these walls again," the blood-stained ghost said as he coasted into the empty space beside the group.

Severus only offered a nod, though inside he relished the notion of seeing a Hogwarts staple. "Nor did I, Baron. Nor did I."

"What brings you back to the castle after all of these years?"

"Certainly not for pleasure given my company," Severus answered casually, ignoring the huff of protest from the Headmistress. "My assistance is required by the Headmistress McGonagall and her professor."

"For whatever reason, it is good to have you back, Professor. The dungeons are dismally mundane without you."

Hermione stifled a snort of amusement. Minerva, on the other hand, showed no such restraint. "Oh, stop it, Baron, before you cause the man to blush. Besides, Severus is quite convinced he is not back but merely on a visit."

Given the look on his face, it was quite obvious Severus was not amused. "Precisely, Minerva, and you would do well to remember that fact considering it came from none other than your gob."

An awkward, cheerless smile crossed the Baron's face. "Still the same Severus Snape it seems."

"We wouldn't have him any other way, Baron," Minerva began with a grin. "I'll be sure to send Severus your way before he leaves the castle, but for now I'm afraid he must attend to this bit of business."

The glistening Slytherin ghost bowed gracefully to the group before making his exit. Minerva bid farewell to the Slytherin ghost and continued up the staircase. Hermione followed closely behind the Headmistress, but Severus lingered for a few moments, allowing himself to fall a few paces behind the two women. The hushed conversation of the various portraits confirmed Severus's reservations. There would be no way he would remain hidden amongst the shadows at Hogwarts. Word of his return was spreading like a contagious disease. He walked in silence, listening to the chatter and whispers, hating every second of the unwanted attention. After what seemed like a thousand lifetimes, the three of them were finally in front of Minerva's office.

Hermione brandished her wand, pointing it at the stone gargoyle. "Gryffindor Quidditch Cup." After Hermione uttered the password the gargoyle leapt aside, allowing the trio entrance.

Stepping into the Headmistress's Office sent a flood of memories rushing over Severus. He had spent most days in this office during his year-long stint as Headmaster, each of them more agonizing than the last. Severus had presided over what was inarguably the worst year in Hogwarts history. He had tried everything to convince Voldemort to give the Headmaster's post to Lucius Malfoy, but the Dark Lord insisted that Severus was the only man for the job. During those dark days, Severus had used this office as an escape – an escape from the treachery going on in the hallways and the classrooms. Newly appointed teachers, who were nothing more than pawns Voldemort was using to further his goals, abused and tortured students. Severus had always had a reputation for being a harsh professor, but the things that went on during those days were enough to turn his stomach. Even when he retreated to the confines of his office, however, Severus could not truly escape. He was constantly plagued by the memories of his meetings with Dumbledore in the old wizard's final days. It was in this office that Severus was given the unenviable task of killing his former mentor. It was in this office that Severus learned that Harry Potter, the son of the woman he loved and the boy he had sworn to protect, would have to die by Voldemort's hand. This office had always been a place full of darkness and dread for Severus.

Now, however, the office was decidedly different than he remembered. Minerva had made several changes in décor, giving the room a markedly more feminine look. Gone were the gloom and dust that Severus had come to associate with this room. They had given way to a warmth and tidiness that Albus had never had the time for, nor Severus the desire to maintain. As Severus reflected on the stark changes, Minerva took a seat at her desk, bidding he and Hermione to take the chairs across from her. "It certainly looks different than I remember it, Minerva," Severus stated as he sat down.

"Yes, well, thank you for noticing, but somehow I doubt it is the décor that you really wish to discuss."

"As shrewd as ever, I see. As I'm sure you've surmised, I have been asked to come to Hogwarts by a certain busybody on your faculty. As I understand it, Minerva, you are not well."

"I'm sure Professor Granger had the best of intentions, Severus, but I am afraid that her concern has led her to become overly worried over some slight hiccups."

Hermione immediately protested. "Headmistress, your magic is failing you. I don't understand how you can continue to deny that."

Minerva pursed her lips. "I have no doubt that you have noticed some abnormalities in my magic, Hermione. However, I assure you that these are merely natural side effect of old age."

Hermione sighed nervously before responding. "With all due respect, you and I both know that's rubbish." A look of shock crossed Minerva's face in response to Hermione's unexpected brashness. "I don't mean to be rude, but Professor Dumbledore's magic never faltered and he was much older than you are, not to mention he was being poisoned by the Dark magic from that ring-turned-Horcrux."

Severus stood up abruptly. "Well, Minerva, if you say that there is nothing wrong, then it appears that my coming here has been an enormous waste of my time." His eyes shot daggers in Hermione's direction. "It is clear that I am not needed here."

"Professor Snape, she's in denial. Her magic is erratic; I've seen it with my own eyes. Please, you have to trust me."

"Miss Granger, as smart as you undoubtedly think you are, to think that I would take your word over that of a colleague that I have trusted and respected for years is quite delusional."

Hermione looked at him in disbelief. She went through such efforts to lure him here, and now he was going to leave just because Minerva was downplaying her illness? She had to do something. Just before she was about to protest again, she heard Severus's voice. 'Keep your mouth shut. I know what I'm doing'.Severus's lips were not moving. Hermione knew at once that he was using Legilimency to communicate.

'She's lying,' Hermione thought. 'She knows it's true, she just doesn't want to admit it.'

'Just be quiet. If there is something wrong, I'll figure it out without you blathering on.' Severus's words were harsh, but Hermione did as she was told. Severus turned to Minerva. "It was a pleasure seeing you again, but I really must get going."

Minerva stood up. "So soon? But you came all this way. At least stay for a cup of tea."

Severus feigned deliberation as he paused for a few moments. "I suppose I could stay and catch up for a while before I go." Severus spied Minerva's tea set on top of a bookcase. "Allow me to get your tea set down for you."

"Don't be silly, Severus. It's no trouble." Minerva pointed her wand at the tea set. "Wingardium Leviosa." The tea set levitated above its resting spot for a second before it started moving toward Minerva's desk. Severus watched closely, trying to pick up on any irregularities. Suddenly, as the tea set was about halfway between the bookshelf and the desk, it started to wobble. A split second later the teapot and cups had slid off the tray and were headed for the ground. Severus nonchalantly flicked his wand, stopping the objects in midair. As he sat the tea set gently on the desk, Severus glanced at Minerva, who had started to blush. She was undoubtedly embarrassed. She had just failed to complete a spell that was routinely taught to first-year students.

"Minerva," he began but was immediately cut off.

"Honestly, I had it under control. I'm just getting a bit unsteady in my old age."

It was obvious to Severus that she was trying to save face, but he decided not to press the issue. Instead, he took a seat next to Hermione as he allowed Minerva to make some tea and engage him in idle chatter. After a short while, Hermione heard his voice inside her head once more. 'Say something about being cold.'

Hermione waited a few moments before broaching the subject. "Are the two of you cold? It's a bit chilly in here, isn't it?"

"Yes, I suppose it is. Autumn seems to come earlier each year," Minerva answered, picking up her wand. She pointed the wand at the fireplace. "Incendio." A stream of light burst from the end of her wand and hit the fireplace. Instead of igniting the wood inside, a loud crash filled the room as dust, rock, and splinters erupted from the fireplace. Hermione and Minerva let go startled screams, but Severus calmly stood up as he sat his empty tea cup on her desk.

"Enough, Minerva. It's clear that your problems go beyond the usual side-effects of aging. I will stay in the castle and assist Miss Granger in finding the cause of your illness."

Minerva protested immediately, "Severus, that isn't necessary."

"On the contrary, it is wholly necessary. I do not know if it is your pride or your desire not to burden others that is keeping you from admitting you need help, but whatever it is, I suggest you get over it quickly. I am going to stay and help and I'll hear no more objections from you. We can't have you accidentally blowing up a student, or worse, part of the castle."

Hermione could see that Minerva was on the brink of tears. "It's nothing to be ashamed of, Professor McGonagall. You're sick. There's no reason to be embarrassed. Nevertheless, I shall tell no one of your ailments, so you needn't worry. I'm sure Professor Snape shares the same sentiment."

Severus nodded faintly in Hermione's direction. "You have my word, Minerva. What we discuss in terms of your… issue will be between the three us. I would, however, suggest that it is best for you to refrain from doing magic as much as possible until we get this sorted out." Minerva sat silently for several moments with her eyes downcast before offering a halfhearted nod of agreement. "Then we have an agreement," Severus said in an attempt to put the matter to rest. He opened the door leading to the staircase. "I shall see myself to my room. Good afternoon, Minerva."

Severus only managed to get a few feet down the hallway before he heard Hermione's voice. "Professor Snape, wait!"

He let out an audible sigh. "What, Miss Granger?"

"We need to talk about what our plan is going to be."

"I have had quite enough conversation for today. Could you please have the decency to stop bothering me long enough to walk to my room?"

Hermione was undeterred. "This is serious, Professor Snape. I know you don't like me. That's fine. But I at least want to know what your plan is. I have looked the library over more than once. I can't find anything. So what are we going to do?"

"I have no intention of going to the library. Whatever is affecting Minerva, I am certain it is of a darker nature than anything that would be kept there."

A puzzled look crossed Hermione's face. "Then where are we going to look?"

"Right now," Severus replied, "I intend to look at nothing but the backs of my eyelids. Tonight, after dinner, I will begin my research by paying a visit to an old friend who is quite well-versed in the Dark Arts. For your own personal edification, and because I have no desire to explain my findings to you when I return, it is best that you accompany me."

Hermione could feel the heat creeping up through her chest, spreading to her face. "Surely you don't mean Lucius Malfoy?"

"Ah, finally that keen intellect I've heard so much about shows itself. Now, if you'll excuse me… I have to find a House-Elf and an appropriate room." Severus's voice trailed off as he turned and made his way down the hallway.

Hermione watched him disappear down the long corridor, completely taken aback and utterly disgusted by his suggestion. She had no desire to set foot in Malfoy Manor, but she knew it was no use arguing with him. Making her way down the hallway in the opposite direction toward her chambers, she was thankful that she had a mountain of things to keep her busy. If there was ever a day she needed to keep her mind occupied, it was the day she would be taking a trip to Malfoy Manor.




Author's Notes: A huge thank you to the ladies who helped behind the scenes, Meladara and Desigrl. These two people are saints for taking me and this project on. Also, those of you who read and review! Your thoughts make my day! As always, reviews are welcomed and greatly appreciated! Happy reading to all!


The Tie That Binds by Laralee [Reviews - 4]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved