Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions

A Place in the World


This story is completed.

1. Prologue: Spinner’s End, June 1960 by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 20]
Genres: General, Alternate Universe
Warnings: Character Death, Implied Character Death
Summary: Apart from it being an artefact of considerable antiquity, no one at the Department Of Mysteries could determine what it was. It was taken from the body of a slain Death Eater at the first fall of Voldemort and was, undeniably, of magical origin. Unable to extract its secrets, and unwilling to risk further experiments, the Unspeakables consigned it to the vaults. Or so they thought. Only one wizard may provide the answer, but he has no idea of his connection to it. SS/HG after prologue. AU following canon as much as possible. (1951 words)
2. Hogsmeade, May 1998 by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 12]
Genres: General
Warnings: none
Summary: Severus hears something he needed to know, and receives some unexpected help. (5291 words)
3. Chapter 3: Suspicion and Sanctuary by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 12]
Genres: General
Warnings: none
Summary: In the Department of Mysteries, something stirs in the vaults. Meanwhile, Severus explores new territory and encounters a mystery of his own. (7234 words)
4. Dead Muggle Walking by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 17]
Genres: General
Warnings: none
Summary: Minerva decides to meet with an Unspeakable. On the other side of the world, someone thought to be in his grave is very much alive. (6247 words)
5. Gossip and Guesswork by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 13]
Genres: General
Warnings: none
Summary: Arawn considers new developments concerning a certain artefact, Oriens reaches a conclusion on the loyalties of Severus Snape, Hermione makes the front page of the Prophet, and Severus reluctantly digests new information. (6547 words)
6. The God and the Dragon by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 14]
Genres: Mystery/Suspense, General
Warnings: none
Summary: Augustus Rookwood’s memories provide Arawn with some vital clues. Severus and Hermione combine their intellects to prevent Oriens from discovering Severus’ hiding place, and Severus devises a small plan to drag Hermione out of a glum patch. A pine marten unwittingly helps uncover something of great significance. (8210 words)
7. Muggle Trouble by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 11]
Genres: General, Action/Adventure
Warnings: Violence
Summary: Severus receives some good news and considers his future. Hermione receives some welcome news too, though it turns out to be bittersweet. Lucius Malfoy engineers a deception, Minerva gets a chance to make amends, and Trainee Auror Potter is too big for his boots. A slight misunderstanding has Severus knocking on the Portrait door. A walk in the grounds works out rather well, even if it does end with an urgent message. (10875 words)
8. Dementors and Death Eaters by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 7]
Genres: General, Action/Adventure
Warnings: none
Summary: Summary: Toby has caused quite a stir in the Aurory. Severus agrees to put duty first with respect to an errant source of magic. Oriens is given a confidential task. Hermione finds out more about the prisoner in the vaults while Severus revises defensive strategies against Dementors. Fortuitous? Perhaps. Dementors are apparently on the move – rounding up Death Eaters. (8604 words)
9. Converging Paths - Part 1 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 5]
Genres: Drama, Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: Hermione and Severus meet Petrus. Severus examines an artefact over which concerns have been voiced. (6757 words)
10. Converging Paths - Part 2 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 8]
Genres: Drama, Action/Adventure
Warnings: Violence
Summary: Toby is reluctant to reveal what he knows about the source of the magic he carries, but in a moment of tension he drops a familiar name. Severus revisits some disturbing memories. In his quest for answers, he refuses to take "no" for an answer. (6056 words)
11. Pieces of the Puzzle by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 14]
Genres: General, Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: The "Ghost City" is not as abandoned as Muggles believe. Severus sees something extraordinary in Tobias' memories and has trouble coming to terms with it. Hermione to the rescue! After a close call in St. Mungo's, Toby finds himself in even more peculiar surroundings. News from the vaults does not bode well. (10024 words)
12. A Slightly Arduous Mission - Part 1 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 7]
Genres: General, Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Thanks to the Centaurs' sharp eyes, something has been seen loitering outside the wards. Severus takes Hermione on a slightly arduous mission. Toby gets bored and has some curious encounters. Minerva contemplates staff diversity and other nigglesome aspects of being Headmistress of Hogwarts. (6300 words)
13. A Slightly Arduous Mission - Part 2 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 9]
Genres: General, Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Thanks to the Centaurs' sharp eyes, something has been seen loitering outside the wards. Severus takes Hermione on a slightly arduous mission. Toby gets bored and has some curious encounters. Minerva contemplates staff diversity and other nigglesome aspects of being Headmistress of Hogwarts. (5994 words)
14. A Deepening Shadow - Part 1 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 5]
Genres: Mystery/Suspense, Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: The centaurs tell of signs in the heavens. Toby takes a gamble, but keeps his thoughts to himself. Severus confronts his father and sees something unexpected. Oriens researches a dangerous scroll and receives an offer of allegiance. Arawn makes his next move, and Lucius welcomes a visitor. (6437 words)
15. A Deepening Shadow - Part 2 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 9]
Genres: Mystery/Suspense, Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: For chapter summary, please refer to Part 1. (5147 words)
16. Five Arrows - Part 1 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 11]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Crookshanks gives Severus an advisory paw. Hermione has some good news, and Minerva enlists a new staff member. Dementors are patrolling. Tobias provides a stop-gap solution and gives Hermione an important message. Severus maintains order during some interesting revelations. (10349 words)
17. Five Arrows – Part 2 by noodle (Conservative) [Reviews - 7]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Severus confirms the identity of the boy in the cave. Unexpectedly, the red dragon makes another appearance. Speculations abound regarding the Llygad y Ddraig – and Hermione makes a bold suggestion. A visit to a certain villa in the Upper Tywi Valley is called for. Hermione applies some logic, and Severus discovers a hidden shrine. (5948 words)
18. Five Arrows - Part 3 by noodle (Brazen) [Reviews - 8]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: Severus arrives at a startling conclusion. Arawn makes his move. Toby makes a monumental decision. (6560 words)
19. The Book of Nimuë – part 1 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 5]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: In a far away place, repressed magic stirs. Jean Granger answers a call for help. Arawn ponders his next move, and finds that reinforcements are ready and waiting. Severus watches, waits, and wonders what to do. Crookshanks demonstrates the power of the purr. The Infirmary is graced with civilisation of the Snape kind. An unexpected clue lurks where only a librarian could find it. (10238 words)
20. The Book of Nimuë – part 2 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 8]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Hermione provides a listening ear and logical conclusions. Severus finds that when it comes to thinking through things he is not yet ready to accept, a burden shared is a burden halved. Toby engages in a slight transgression of rules, gets into a little bit of trouble, and meets another unusual Being. Petrus goes for an early-morning fly and gives assistance to a "tired and emotional" witch. Professor Binns consults a colleague – and reveals an astonishing fact. Hermione voices a daring hypothesis. (10230 words)
21. By Order of the Phoenix – Part 1 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 7]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: The centaurs receive visitors from a distant land – armed visitors bearing news. Severus sees an ancient treasure, and Hermione is proved right. Fawkes is an extremely busy phoenix. Severus and Tobias reach an understanding, and Severus makes a strategic alliance with Jean Granger. Petrus demonstrates his ability to keep order among students and magical books. (8421 words)
22. By Order of the Phoenix – Part 2 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 10]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Minister Shacklebolt receives an unexpected message. Toby gets a great deal off his chest and finds his son’s response very surprising. Minerva is merciless, and Harry makes a peace offering. Arawn begins to position his forces. A very-much-in-demand Severus meets his new Patronus and receives an important invitation. (10295 words)
23. The Gathering – part 1 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 8]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Hermione gains some more insights into centaur culture. At Tocky’s hesitant request, Toby tells a story from his past. Severus gets the opportunity to put a troubling experience to rest – and decides what should be done with the Resurrection Stone. Kingsley receives ominous news from his Russian contact. (8733 words)
24. The Gathering – Part 2 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 8]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: The recipents of Fawkes' messages gather to decipher hidden meanings and, in the process, form the outline of a plan. Severus receives a message that he was expecting, and a package that he wasn't expecting at all. Oriens comes through with good information and puts his life in Fawkes' talons. Arawn is quietly optimistic... so are the Dementors. (9693 words)
25. The Red Dragon – Part One by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 8]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Petrus has a little fun in his favourite cathedral. The Llygad y Ddraig has an important revelation for Severus – and he shares it with Hermione. The centaurs receive reinforcements. There is news of a secret ally. Severus and Tobias share a startling thought, and Minerva is excited about a task that appeals to her very much. (9831 words)
26. The Red Dragon – Part Two by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 11]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: Peppercorns and propositions lead to a solution. Dragons? Severus has his doubts – but not for long. Arawn find Severus’ message extremely provocative. The centaurs show just how dangerous they can be. In the Central Carpathians, Fawkes pays an important visit. (10083 words)
27. The Bell, the Spear, and the Book – Part One by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 11]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Severus receives some useful (rather gruesome) items. Fawkes has been busy again. While waiting for Arawn, Severus reflects on the rise and fall of Dolorous Umbridge. Petrus has some fun in the south bell tower – much to Minerva's excitement, and the Dementors' dismay. The Dementors in Calais get a very nasty surprise. Hermione recognises a very special dragon. (10262 words)
28. The Bell, The Spear, and The Book – Part Two by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 14]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: Hermione earns the goodwill of a certain dragon. Severus engages in an unexpected conversation. Draco receives an offer that he can’t refuse. Arawn takes a set-back in his stride. Rabastan encounters his own “Three-strikes” law. Sister Clarise overhears some significant snippets, and Toby makes a new acquaintance. (10352 words)
29. The Bell, The Spear, and The Book – Part Three by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 21]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Violence
Summary: The Dementors stage a rebellion. Kingsley is amazed at how many have answered a call for help. Sister Clarise takes a dangerous risk, and Hermione’s inner warrior roars with dragons. Arawn finds out that some things are just too hot to handle. Severus gets quite a shock, but destiny’s duty calls… Toby learns of some sobering history. (10522 words)
30. A Place in the World – Part One by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 4]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: A Hebridean Black makes a useful and timely appearance. Toby enlists the help of a half-Kneazle. Bane gives a few words of advice, and a game of marbles heralds some new possibilities. Severus’ encounter with Hagrid’s new “dog” provides a moment of inspiration. Toby is anxious to do a bit of explaining, and Severus considers the value of forgiveness. (9165 words)
31. A Place in the World – Part Two by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 3]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Severus tells Hermione about an unfortunate turning point in his childhood. Gobstones may open the way to many possibilities. Severus’ request for an audience with Hermione’s father yields favourable results. A ghostly trio present their rather surprising findings, and Tocky gives a soulful piece of advice. (9671 words)
32. Epilogue – January 1999 by noodle (Suggestive) [Reviews - 32]
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: none
Summary: Severus has something to show Hermione – with very pleasing results. A birthday lunch provides the opportunity for an important announcement. (2742 words)


This story is completed.

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved