Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Challenge fics

A Chance Not Taken by Culcarien [Reviews - 15]

<<

Would you like to submit a review?

A Chance Not Taken

Chapter 3

Minerva McGonagall, deputy headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, was very concerned with the well being of one Hermione Granger Black. After escorting Hermione out of her office after their usual monthly luncheon, Minerva was worried about her former charge. She felt heartbroken watching Hermione cry about her lack of success at having another child especially since the conception of her firstborn, James, happened so quickly with her relationship with Sirius. Minerva loved the couple, and despite her initial reservation to request help from unlikely quarters, she deemed the happiness of her former student more important than the inconvenience of one scowling DADA professor and renowned Potions Master.

Severus was finally left alone after a hectic week of teaching. It was a horrible week, filled with cauldrons exploding and dunderheads misbehaving. He was about to accio the familiar bottle of firewhiskey when there was a loud knock at his door.

'Why don't they all just go away!!!' thought Severus as he dragged himself to the door and opened it. He was expecting Albus to once again come in and meddle in his affairs, but was surprised to find Minerva McGonagall instead.

"May I come in Severus?"

An exasperated sigh was heard, and with a wave of his hand, his guest entered his private chambers.

"Seriously, you might want to light at least a fire in here. It's absolutely cold and dreary in here." Sitting down in one of the plush velvet chairs in the cold dark room, Minerva watched Severus pour himself shots of firewhiskey one after another, and was disheartened with his behavior.

"It suits the bat-like persona I have in front of the students. But besides offering criticisms of my decor, certainly there must be something you wanted?" Nursing yet another shot of firewhiskey, he sat in the only other chair left in the room, right next to the cold and unlit fireplace.

“Yes, Severus - There is actually something I need to talk about you about.” Minerva felt out of place talking about such personal matters like the Black’s problem, but again, she focused only on the wellbeing of her former pupil which strengthened her resolve. “It involves Hermione Black.”

Taking a deep breath, Severus disguised his surprise beneath his usual expressionless demeanor. Damn that woman constantly staying in his mind after all these years. Every night he would yearn for her, and it was painful for people to talk about her especially after her ‘relationship’ with Black. Of all people, why Black! Not that Potter or his sidekick Weasley was any better, but he would have understood the logic behind either of his former students. But that lecher Black took advantage of Hermione, his Hermione, at her most vulnerable moment and now she was the mother of Black's spawn. He couldn't understand why the rest of the school or any of the professors allowed for the two to marry. Black molested a student, and instead of punishing him, they allowed him to marry her! Mentally shaking his head, he addressed the deputy headmistress.

“So what does this have to do with the former miss know-it-all? Did she and Black have a fight and now she wants to poison him?” Silently, he wished that was the case. If it would mean for one brief yet wonderful second he would have her. If he had the chance, he would do much worse than poisoning that sorry excuse of a wizard.

“I really wish you would just drop the animosity between you and Sirius, Severus. Certainly after decades you’d try to be civil with each other? But before I continue Severus, you must give me your word that you will be discreet about the matter we are about to discuss.”

A long look from Severus was the end of that matter.

“My dear lady, I’m by nature a Slytherin. We are by nature discreet.” Getting up to pour himself a third drink of the night, he continued. “So out with it Minerva, no need to run around corners.” He watched as Minerva take another long breath, as if trying to gather last minute courage.

“I need you to allow Hermione space to work on brewing a fertility potion here at Hogwarts.” Getting up, she walked to his liquor cabinet and poured herself a shot of firewhiskey as well.

“I beg your pardon, but certainly it’s a little late for you to consider having a baby, Minerva.” He knew it was Hermione that would need the potion, yet he couldn’t help himself slip out that quip.

“Not for me, you Slytherin Git! For Hermione herself!” From her display of anger, Severus can spot the feline tendencies of Minerva’s animagus form subconsciously emerging. He wondered when the lady was going to scratch him with her claws.

“You’d assume since she works at St. Mungo’s she’d be able to brew a fertility potion there. She’s a mediwitch, for Merlin’s sake. And further, doesn’t she already have a spawn of Black’s already?” Deciding it’s safer to get some physical distance away from the irritated woman, he relocated to stand behind the high backed velvet chair he was sitting on.

“She’s tried the standard ones already. The one she wants to brew is a little… obscure. She feels it’s better to brew it away from other people – and there’s no other place in the world as safe as Hogwarts. And further, some families Severus actually want more than one child.” Getting up to leave his chambers, she turned around and addressed him. “Now, you will cease your complaining, and when she comes in next week and ask to use your potion’s lab to brew her potion, you will accept and show a shadow of the upbringing and manners your parents have taught you when you were young. And if you do anything of the sort that upsets the poor child, I will personally make sure that your life will be indeed a miserable existence.” Minerva walked out of Severus’ chamber without looking back. A controlled slam of the door followed her departure.

********************************

Author’s Notes: Hi Everyone! Thanks for actually finishing Chapter 3 of A Chance not Taken. Any and all reviews are welcome!


A Chance Not Taken by Culcarien [Reviews - 15]

<<

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved