Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Romance

Recapturing by DistinctVagueness [Reviews - 12]


Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: J.K Rowling owns Harry Potter. Not me. But I do own Annika.




Recaptured





Prologue


A cautious Hermione Granger stepped out of the fireplace at the Burrow. Far too many times had she been greeted by a Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes product (usually the exploding kind) upon such an entrance. The living room was strangely quiet.

‘Molly?’ she called.

‘Oh, hello, Hermione.’ A familiar redhead greeted her from the kitchen.

Hermione smiled. ‘Hello, Ginny. Where is everyone?’

‘Dad and the kids are out in the garden, Mum’s upstairs.’

Pulling off her cloak and neatly placing her heavy bag upon the carpet, she followed the other witch into the kitchen.

‘Busy day?’ asked Ginny, conjuring up some tea.

‘Exhausting,’ came the answer, and a barely concealed yawn escaped the brunette. ‘I would have finished earlier but I had the managing directors of Gringotts in the office and you know how thorough goblins are…and then there was the woman from the Daily Prophet. You know, if they took five minutes out from criticising me, they might realise I have more important things to do than provide quotes all the time.’

‘People don’t care what the Prophet says, you know that.’

Hermione nodded, taking a sip from her tea and then wincing at the realisation it was still too hot. ‘They still read it though.’ She sighed and then smiled. ‘Sorry, I’m just tired.’

‘Well, you would go and become Minister for Magic, wouldn’t you?’ Both young women turned and Hermione offered a weary grin at Molly Weasley.

The older witch floated a pile of clean socks over to an empty chair, where they subsequently began to sort themselves into pairs. ‘How are things going, dear?’

‘Really well, actually. I’m starting to see some much needed changes fit into place. It’s tiring, but I’m enjoying it.’

‘Glad to hear it. Arthur did always say it would be the best job for you.’

Hermione nodded. ‘It’s probably too soon to say, but I'm certainly enjoying the challenge. I just worry I’m not spending enough time with Annika.’

‘Didn’t you say you were taking this weekend off to spend some time with her?’

Hermione gave a wry smile. ‘Only tomorrow afternoon, it turns out. Even the least busiest of weekends require me to be around as much as possible.’

‘I wouldn’t worry. She and James mentioned they might want to go to the Cannons Quidditch friendly on Sunday afternoon anyway.’

Hermione brightened. ‘That sounds fun.’

Ginny raised an eyebrow. ‘Oh really?’

The other witch shrugged. ‘Well…maybe not for me, but I’m glad Annika can enjoy these things during the summer. I spent a lot of time out of the wizarding world during holidays when I was her age. I love that she can experience these things.’

‘She’s not half bad on a broom either,’ Ginny replied, nodding. ‘Tea, Mum?’

‘That would be lovely, dear,’ answered Molly. ‘I’ll be back in a minute; I just need to speak to your father about that Muggle contraption he’s put in the bathroom. It’s been making some awful noises...’

As she left, Hermione looked at Ginny in question.

‘In-shower radio,’ Ginny said. ‘He’s trying to tune it in to the Wizarding Wireless Network.’

Hermione laughed and took a cautious sip of her tea, finding it had cooled.

‘Anyway, whilst Mum’s outside, I wanted to tell you about something.’

‘Oh? Anything wrong?’

She shook her head. ‘Not as such. Though I had a little conversation with Annika this afternoon.’

Hermione frowned in concern. ‘Is she okay?’

‘Oh, she’s perfectly fine. Just a little curious.’

‘About what?’

‘Her father, mostly.’

Hermione settled back in her chair as Ginny continued.

‘How much does she know about Severus, Hermione?’

The brunette considered this. ‘I’ve answered all of her questions before. Her father has never been a topic off-limits to discussion, she knows that.’

There was a small smile on Ginny’s face. ‘And you’ve covered the whole ‘where do babies come from’ conversation?’

Hermione laughed. ‘Of course, years ago.’

The other witch nodded. ‘Then I guess it would have been a while since you had to answer many questions about him too?’

A thoughtful expression crossed Hermione’s face. ‘It has been. I mean, occasionally he comes up in conversation but not in great detail.’

‘Hermione…I think perhaps Annika might be old enough for you to really talk to her about her father. Providing you’re ready to really tell her about him. I think that’s why she came to ask me.’

Hermione swallowed a little. ‘It is a little daunting…but I do want her to know who Severus was. I also worry that others will fill in the gaps of her knowledge.'

‘That’s true,’ Ginny agreed. ‘If you want to, it will be a good thing for her, I think. She’s almost fourteen and she’s pretty tough.’

‘She is…’ Hermione smiled fondly. ‘I’ll think about it tonight and perhaps try talking to her tomorrow.’

‘Mum, can I go to watch the Quidditch with James on Sunday?’ Interrupting, the girl in the doorway, black curls falling messily down to her waist, looked as if she hadn’t truly grown into her height just yet. She wore blue jeans, frayed around the ankles, and one of her many Weasley hand-knitted jumpers.

‘Hello, dear. Had a good day?’ Hermione greeted her daughter with a warm smile and stood up to give her a hug and a peck on the cheek. Ginny watched in amusement. Annika was already taller than her mother. She truly took after Severus in that way.

Annika looked impatient with the greeting. ‘Yes, great. Can I go? Please?’

‘Of course you can, as long as you’re careful and are back before teatime.’

‘Thanks, Mum!’ The teenager dashed back into the garden, presumably to tell her partner in crime.

‘Those two are as thick as thieves,’ Ginny commented.

Hermione knew what was coming next from the tone of her voice and grinned knowingly. ‘Don’t start marrying them off just yet, Gin.’

The redhead shrugged. ‘I was just saying…’

Hermione just laughed and shook her head, but Ginny gave her a mock defensive look.

‘It’s not like I haven’t been right about these things in the past,’ she said simply.

The brunette sitting across from her didn’t protest.




A/N: This won’t be overly long, just a few chapters, I’d expect. Should be completed over the next week or so and is a way of capturing some one-shot bunnies. If you read, please review and let me know what you think. Please encourage me to keep defrosting the writer’s block! Thanks.

DistinctVagueness




Recapturing by DistinctVagueness [Reviews - 12]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved