Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Romance

Of Debts and Debt Collection by Anastasia [Reviews - 5]

<< >>

Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Yet again, no money, fame, glory here.

AN: Another debt of gratitude to my beta, Ariadne. I apparently get better at both grammar and punctuation during my destructive scenes. It is only fitting that I write more of them. ;-)




"Severus, do you think this is wise?" Minerva asked, taking a seat. Her face held a severely concerned look as she clasped her hands tightly on her desk.

Severus scowled, watching as Dobby peered up at the great telescope that stood next to the window in the headmistress' office. Dobby caught his eye and made a rude face before ducking behind Hermione's chair.

Turning his attention back to Minerva, Severus said plainly, "Minerva, I am well aware of the dangers of going alone; however, obtaining another Horcrux is absolutely crucial. Draco and Narcissa have nothing left and are backed into a corner. I am their only savior at the moment. A knight in shining armor, if you will."

"And what if it's a trap, a ploy to bring you before Voldemort?" Hermione asked. "Why can't Narcissa bring the Horcrux here?"

"Do you think I would still be alive today if I didn't think through every possible outcome for my actions? It certainly doesn't require extensive Dark Arts knowledge to become a Death Eater. Narcissa has no way to handle this if the Horcrux is protected. It would kill her, Voldemort would be alerted, and the Horcrux would be moved before we have a chance to destroy it. Does that answer your questions?" he sneered before catching himself.

"Too late," he thought, watching as Hermione's expression changed to exasperation.

Minerva said in a stern tone, "Severus, we're only concerned for you. You're still wounded from the duel last night and-"

Severus interrupted her. "Minerva, with all due respect, I do not care to be spoken to as if I were a student requesting permission to go into Hogsmeade. Also, a wound like this does nothing to diminish my magic. I have survived so far on my own; this will be no different," he said, hating how they were forcing him to plead a case.

He stole a glance at Hermione, who was openly glaring at him now. Oh hell, here we go.

Hermione said accusingly, "You are not alone, Severus. We are all in this, understand? You need to realize that you are no longer acting as a lone spy anymore. You act as though help is poisonous to you."

"Is that what you think? That I am a martyr of sorts? That I enjoy this?" he argued, moving towards her. "Did it dawn on you that I am trying to protect you? Do you have any idea the kind of power these Dark objects possess? The Dark Arts books are only a faint reflection of the evil these things can possess. They can poison or kill anyone who even happens upon them - and in a highly disgusting manner. Care to remember what happened to Katie Bell?"

Hermione said nothing, glancing at Minerva before turning her eyes back to Severus.

"I am waiting."

"No," Hermione said in a small voice.

At her continued silence, Severus looked satisfied and said seriously, "I am the only expert in the Dark Arts in the Order. It is only fitting that I do this alone. If I am lost in this, at least another step towards Voldemort's destruction will have been made."

Hermione looked shocked. "Severus, you can't mean that. You're not expendable."

"I must agree with Hermione," Minerva said calmly. "Severus, it is time for you to stop believing that you are worth nothing outside of sacrifice. Whether you like it or not, you can no longer deny that you are a part of this family. Is that clear?"

When he stared at her incredulously, Minerva said sternly, "Answer me, Severus."

After a stretch of silence during which Severus looked between them, he finally said, slowly, "Yes."

"Fine, now that that is settled, I do agree with you that no one else is qualified for this task, nor should anyone else be near these objects," Minerva said seriously. "You and Dobby will go alone."

Severus nodded and, indicating to Dobby to follow, swept from the office without another word. Hermione followed.

Once in the hallway, he turned, and said, "Hermione, please-"

Hermione approached him, put her hand on his chest and backed him against the wall. She then took his hands, intertwined their fingers, and held his arms to the wall. Severus, too stunned by her forwardness to finish his thought, trailed off and stared at her. Without speaking, Hermione leaned forward and kissed him.

Ignoring the quite convincing retching sounds from Dobby, Severus gave in and softened, bringing his arms down to hold her as they kissed. Hermione moved her hands to rest on his hips and pulled him closer.

His eyes flew open in surprise.

Hermione kissed him gently as she whispered, "Well, you're injured everywhere else..."

Raising an eyebrow, he nodded. "You certainly have a point. No objections; please, do continue."

As he moved her hair away and left light kisses on her neck, Severus murmured, "Get rid of the elf for a few minutes."

Hermione opened her eyes long enough to see Dobby standing beside them, looking ill and tapping his foot impatiently. "Umm... Dobby, could you wait around the corner for a minute?" Hermione asked gently, her voice breaking as Severus breathed in her ear.

Dobby bowed and obeyed. As soon as he was out of sight, Hermione moved her hands quickly into his hair and tilted her head up. Severus moved lower to kiss along her shoulder, pushing her blouse roughly out of the way. A soft gasp escaped her.

They kissed with a depth that is only reserved for times of uncertain separation. A kind of desperate expression, as if you could brand onto the soul of your partner that, yes, you do love them, with a fire that cannot be diminished by time.

He knew that he would kill in a heartbeat to return to her. In the past, he had had nothing more than his duties as a teacher to come back to, but now...

Severus placed his head against hers and, attempting to steady his breath, said softly, "I will return soon."

"Please be careful, Severus. I love you," Hermione said. I will not cry.

"I will. I am not the type to say it, but - I do love you."

"I know. The dark, brooding type," she said smiling.

"If you insist."

"Goes with the witty humor, startling good looks and pleasant disposition," she teased, laughing and kissed him once more. Her eyes stilled, pleading. She held his hand. "Come back to me safely, Severus."

"I shall."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Narcissa," Severus said, nodding. "I see that daylight does absolutely nothing for your complexion."

Satisfied, he watched Narcissa bite back an insult. He turned to Draco, whose hood looked out of place in the daylight. "Draco."

Looking around the gates suspiciously, Narcissa said in a low voice, "We've met with Lucius and he has told us of the location of another Horcrux. It's in the mansion, and the door is Charmed so that only he or Dobby can enter."

Severus drew his wand slowly, and, advancing on the two of them, said in a deadly tone, "My promise still stands. If this is a trap, I swear..."

"I assure you, Severus. We are sincere in this," Narcissa said in a pleading tone. "Please... I know you can tell if someone is lying."

Severus held her gaze for a moment, and said, "Yes, that is true." He could detect no dishonesty from either her or Draco, but still did not feel comfortable with leaving of Hogwarts. The price on him was too great. Any Death Eater would give his soul to be the one to drag him half-dead before the Dark Lord.

"Fine, let's go," Severus said impatiently.

All four of them Apparated to stand in front of the Malfoy manor. Dobby cringed at the sight of his old home, and moved behind Severus' robes. As they entered into the front hall, Dobby looked around as if expecting Lucius to come out of any doorway.

"Lucius said that the Horcrux is in a room under the drawing room floor," Narcissa said as she led the way. "The Ministry officials have been here twice without finding it."

The expression of suspicion never left Severus' face. Ensuring that both Draco and Narcissa were in front of him at all times, his eyes swept all doorways as they passed.

"The entrance is in the floor here. Only Lucius and Dobby have gone down there. Lucius said the cup is Charmed to look black, and that you would know what to do," Narcissa said, with hope in her voice.

Draco still kept his hood up, even in his own home. He remained silent.

Severus stared at the floor where there was no noticeable door, and considered his options. Silence fell as he thought.

"Dobby, you've been down there?" he asked, attempting to be polite.

"Yes. Master had me move things down there. Scary place. Dobby doesn't like it down there. Lots of bad things," Dobby said, pulling nervously on his ears.

Putting all his patience into being nice to the elf, Severus said, leaning down, "Open the door."

Dobby rubbed his hands together nervously and stared at the floor. Just as Severus thought the house-elf was going to refuse, Dobby went forward and placed his hand on the floor. The outline of a door appeared and, with a small gasp of fear, Dobby pulled it open.

Severus stood with his wand at the ready and leaned over to look down into the room. He could only see a stairway leading down and a piece of the floor below. The smell of stagnant air rose from the opening, along with copious amounts of dust.

Severus could sense Dark magic close by, but could see nothing. He thought for a moment, and, glancing at Dobby, made a decision. "Dobby, did Lucius ever touch the cup?"

Thinking hard, Dobby replied, "No, master is telling Dobby to move scary things down there, and only Dobby is touching them."

"Dobby, we need you to go down and get the cup and bring it here," Severus said. Then, grimacing slightly, he added, "Please?"

The house-elf paled slightly, then nodded. Dobby went to the edge of the opening, then hopped down, missing the first two steps. Moving cautiously down the stairs, he let out small whimpers of fear as he disappeared into the darkness.

Severus stared intently into the room, listening as slight whining sounds came from Dobby as he moved around. He caught Narcissa's eyes for a moment, then was confused to see face transform into one of utter shock.

"Loyalty is a blessed thing, Severus. Which is why traitors like you deserve to die," a voice said from the doorway.

Severus sneered as he turned around. "Good afternoon, Bella. Looking as revolting as ever I see..."

At that moment Dobby appeared at the opening and hopped out onto the floor. Cradled in his arms was a black cup almost as large as the house-elf himself. Severus didn't need to see the cup to know it was touched by Dark magic. To him, it reverberated throughout the room.

"The Dark Lord will be very pleased to see me deliver you alive, Severus. Alive enough to scream that is..." Bella taunted as she moved into the room. "And you, Narcissa, I would have never expected this from my own sister..."

"Bella! Draco and I -we - ," Narcissa sputtered, stepping backwards as her sister's wand aimed at her.

As Bella turned her attention to Narcissa, Severus hissed to Dobby, "Take the cup and Apparate back to Hogwarts. Now!"

Dobby looked startled at first, then, with determination appearing on his face, nodded and scurried towards the main hall.

Bella spun as the house-elf sped past, screaming, "NO!" She thrust her wand at Dobby's retreating form and cried, "IMPEDIMENTA!"

The spell barely missed Dobby and slammed into the hallway wall, tearing it open and collapsing part of the floor in a jagged hole. Dobby let out a shriek, almost dropping the cup as he ran towards the door.

Bella moved to follow, but was blocked when Severus stepped in front of her.

Snarling, he said in a low voice, "It is I, the traitor, you want, isn't it?"

Severus raised his arms and said in a grand voice, "Here I stand!" He then swung his wand violently, throwing Bella deeper into the house to land in a heap against the drawing room doorway.

Bella quickly rose and, staggering forward, screamed, "CRUCIO!"

Severus blocked the spell, sending it to blast the fireplace apart, exploding brick and ashes out into the room. Bella moved swiftly to cast another curse, which Severus dodged.

It struck Narcissa, throwing her backwards in a graceless fall. Her screams rose as ashes fell, choking the air.

As the ashes cleared, Severus saw Draco with his wand drawn on Bella as she backed into the hallway. "Don't you DARE hurt my mother!" he screamed, and cried, "AVAD-"

Before he could complete the curse, Bella twitched her wand, threw him backwards to land in a shamble of robes, his hood falling back.

"The Dark Lord was right to punish you for your failure! You're nothing but a useless coward!" Bella taunted, laughing as Draco tried to rise. "But I should put things right. Yes... Lucius always said you were a disappointment."

"SHUT UP!" Draco roared.

"Oh, struck a nerve have I?" Bella said softly.

Before she could raise her wand completely, Bella was thrown forward violently as a bolt of light hit her square in the back. As Bella fell, Draco looked up to see his mother standing with a look of complete rage on her face.

"My own sister? Now, Narcissa..." Bella said in disbelief, struggling on the floor to recover.

"You will NEVER hurt my son again!" Narcissa raged, her voice cracking. Her wand hand shook violently, but she could not cast the Killing Curse.

"You're nothing but a traitor. All of you! The Dark Lord will kill you all!" Bella raved, gathering herself to rise. Her teeth were bared as she raised her wand once more.

Suddenly Severus placed himself between them, and yelled back to Narcissa and Draco, "Go back to Hogwarts and await me there. NOW!"

Bella snarled and swung her wand, slashing at the air. Severus could feel something tear through his chest, cutting him. Screaming more in rage than pain, he advanced on her, throwing a long combination of spells. With a look of astonishment, Bella moved quickly to block him. The hallway was rapidly being destroyed as spells hit every surface. The ceiling was blown upwards, throwing beams through the upper floors. The entire wall on the left side was torn open. A final spell crashed through the floor, leaving a gaping hole and throwing Bella off balance.

Almost falling, she threw her own combination, which Severus successfully blocked, sending them all back at her. She deftly dodged some and blocked others as Severus backed down the hallway towards the drawing room. A thought struck Severus as he remembered how Dobby going down the trap door stairs.

"Oh, dear, Severus, don't back away. We're having such fun," Bella laughed.

Backing into the drawing room, Severus responded with a grand smile, "Bella, I wouldn't miss this for the world!"

Severus held out his right hand and a large crystal water pitcher and goblet set rose sharply into the air. As Bella entered the room, he swiftly swung his arm and sent them flying, striking her.

Before she hit the floor, Bella screamed, "CRUCIO!", blindly throwing the curse. The spell flew past Severus, narrowly missing him and blowing out a large stained glass window.

Bella laughed, "You're not even trying, Severus! Lost your edge, have you?"

Severus snarled as he cast a complex combination of spells, hexes and curses, ignoring the fact that the monumental amount of magic in close quarters was beyond dangerous. Bella's eyes widened as she struggled to block them all and shield herself from the debris as the chair exploded in shards of wood and stuffing, several lamps burst into fine sprays of glass powder, and part of the ceiling collapsed in flames. She stumbled backwards, tripping over a torn rug, and threw another attempt to disarm as she fell.

Severus cast “Petrificus Totalus”, throwing himself behind a large armchair and stifling a cry as he landed on his shoulder. He was stunned to find himself lying there in silence. He rose carefully to see Bella, lying stiff on her back, her eyes betraying the hatred within her.

Leisurely he stood, brushing off his robes and shaking his head. "Ah Bella, so here we are. Now I could simply kill you, but that's far too easy."

Severus shook his head as if arguing with himself about her fate.

"No.... You deserve more. Much more."

Severus looked to the ceiling where a hole now allowed a view through two floors.

"You had an intriguing thought before. What was it? Ah, yes - loyalty."

He nodded to himself. "Yes, you are quite loyal, Bella... to an obsessively deranged level. You are correct that loyalty is quite valuable, very much so," Severus said, proceeding to awkwardly drag her towards the trap door's opening.

Ignoring the pain spreading in his chest and back, he positioned her at the edge. Grinning evilly, he then pushed her stiffened body down the stairs.

"You were loyal, Bella..." Severus said viciously, watching her eyes glitter in the darkness below, "but to the wrong side."

Staring directly into her eyes, Severus swept the first step with his foot, triggering the trap.

Slamming the door down, Severus ran as red light bled from the cracks.

Anyone passing by would say the house seemed to bow out at first. Sounds of lesser explosions could be heard, along with a faint scream. Red light then filled the interior as if a great blaze burned within. Within seconds, the light's intensity spiraled to a terrifying level, obscuring the sight of the great mansion. A horrific explosion tore through the right wing, blasting an obscene amount of opulent possessions in a high arc out onto the grounds. Missing a large portion of its internal structure, the house leaned before sliding to the left and collapsing in a heap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hermione, you must eat something."

"I just can't. I can't even breathe until he returns, Hermione said, staring out the office window. The same window from which she first saw Severus that night.

Seems so long ago...

"Hermione," Minerva sighed. Several members of the Order were present to discuss the events of the past few days and their plans moving forward. Neville had also arrived after his grandmother informed Minerva she no longer thought it safe to keep him at home any more. Minerva agreed that it was best that Neville stay at Hogwarts.

As the others chatted while taking tea, Minerva approached Hermione. Looking out the same window, she said solemnly, "You know, often I would find Albus watching out this very window."

Minerva placed a hand on Hermione's shoulder as she said with sadness, "Yes, with an expression very similar to the one you wear right now. He would await Severus' return for hours, sometimes days. He was always quick to hide it, but I saw hints of guilt there."

"You see, Hermione, Severus would come to Albus to give his report before anything else. Oftentimes in extremely poor condition, his sense of duty much stronger than his self-preservation."

Hermione sighed, allowing her eyes to focus on her reflection as she reached her hand out and pressed her palm against the cool glass.

"He'll be back, Hermione," Minerva said, mostly to herself.

Unnoticed by everyone, Dobby entered the room with the cup hoisted up in his arms. It looked almost comical, as the cup completely obscured the house-elf and seemed to walk on its own across the room to rest at Harry's feet.

As Harry looked down, Dobby made a grand bow so low his ears hit the floor. "Dobby is bringing the cup for Harry Potter!"

Remembering Severus' words, Minerva gasped as she caught sight of Harry reaching out to touch it.

"NO! Harry do not touch that cup!" Minerva cried, moving quickly to the center of the room. She reached her arms out to fend off any curious onlookers.

Silence fell.

Hermione was on him in an instant. "Dobby! Where's Severus? Where is he?"

"Dobby is going in the scary place and bringing the cup. Nasty Bella comes and he tells Dobby to run so Dobby runs and comes back to Harry Potter with the cup," Dobby said in one breath, beaming like a lovesick teenager up at Harry.

"Dobby, where did you go?" Hermione asked urgently. "Where?"

"Dobby's old home. Dobby isn't liking to go back there, but he does it for Harry Potter!" he said, proudly pushing his chest out.

"Malfoy's mansion," Hermione gasped, looking up at Minerva. She then turned and ran from the room.

"Wait! Hermione! You can't go, it's too dangerous!" Minerva called, but in vain, as Hermione was already out the door and flying down the stairs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't just kill her the conventional way, could you?

Severus stood on the lawn of the ruined mansion. He had barely escaped before the windows exploded glass at lethal force and the entire west wing exploded out into the countryside. He thought he heard Bella scream, and a dim part of his mind noted that his spell binding her must have broken.

Remnants of wood and marble were strewn across the grounds while slips of wallpaper and bits of fabric sailed lazily on the wind. Large pieces of ornate furniture lay at odd angles on the lawn along with a scorched tapestry. A four-poster bed hung precariously off the second floor before crashing into the ruins below. Amused, Severus thought it all looked like a gutted doll house. The mansion let out a loud groan, struggling for a moment before collapsing. Flames took hold somewhere in the ruins, sending the scent of burning wood and upholstery traveling on the afternoon breeze.

Hissing, Severus pulled a large piece of glass from his arm that had gone straight through his robes, and watched as the prestigious Malfoy mansion began to burn.

Circling around the rear of where the mansion once stood, Severus thought back over his history with Bella. They had shared much more than a general dislike. It was a pure hatred, as deep-rooted as two people can possibly have for each other without going mad. She had not only played a part in forcing him to take the Unbreakable Vow, but had also goaded Voldemort into punishing him severely over not delivering Potter. Her high-pitched laughter had rung in his ears far too many times to count as he lay screaming to the night sky.

Severus doubted that Hermione would love him at this particular moment, but then she was fortunate not to have experienced the horrors he had over his relatively short lifetime. Surveying the wreckage, Severus tried to work out in his mind just where the drawing room would have been. Part of him couldn't help wanting to collect a certain item if it was possible, a souvenir.

Taking inventory, he was positive that if his robes were not black the amount of blood would startle even the strong-hearted. He shouldn't be standing as he felt blood streaming down his chest in time with his heart. The cut was significant, but not as bad as he had first thought. His back was not faring much better; he was sure it was torn open once more.

One of the remaining chimneys moved drunkenly to the right and arced before crumbling to join the rest of the rubble. Stepping carefully, he took notice of the wallpaper and knew this was the room. The fire spreading through the other side of the mansion could be heard devouring the rich wood. Soon, it would be nothing more than an extremely large bonfire, and by morning no recognizable trace would be found.

As Severus caught sight of where the trap door once lain, he noticed that it was now open. Frowning, he moved to survey his surroundings as the strong smell of burning mahogany reached him. Listening, he heard nothing but the groaning and crack of wood as it either shifted or burned.

Deciding it would be a better choice to Apparate back to Hogwarts, Severus was startled by a bolt of green light as it shot past, blasting apart a tangle of chairs behind him.

He spun and found himself facing a furious, bloodied, and very much alive Bellatrix Black Lestrange.




Of Debts and Debt Collection by Anastasia [Reviews - 5]

<< >>

Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved