Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Humor

Alumni Festival by Aedammair [Reviews - 22]


Would you like to submit a review?

So, yeah. Totally non-HPB compliant for the simple reason and I love Albus and his twinkling and Severus and his oh so Darcy ways (only in fanfiction does that make sense).

Read & Review

Not mine, I just borrowed them.

____________________________________

The darkness had fallen early, a signal that autumn was on its way out the revolving season door. There was still the warmth of summer in the air, though, and Severus Snape was determined to take full advantage of it. He had excused himself from the festivities in order to breathe in the heady, muggy air. In truth, he’d simply need out of the melee. The Great Hall was packed with witches and wizards of all shapes, sizes, and ages. Alumni week at Hogwarts was just as he remembered it – loud, raucous, and annoyingly cheerful.

The Gryffindors got along with the Slytherins.

The Slytherins, in turn, played somewhat fair on the Quidditch pitch.

And in the midst of it all, Albus twinkled, Minerva tutted, and the now-grown Golden Trio assaulted his sensibilities. They’d been so easy to despise as children, he reasoned, what with their penchant for attracting trouble and always managing to get out of it mostly intact. As adults, however, he found it a bit more difficult to dislike them.

Ronald Weasley was calmer, weathered even, and, of greater surprise, smarter. A terrifying prospect to be sure.

Even Harry Potter, the Hero, was more subdued. Though, Severus postulated, that could have something to do with Harry’s recent sexuality announcement – he was gay and, apparently, proud of it.

But it was Hermione Granger who took the prize for most changed, and not just her rat’s nest of a hairstyle. Gone was the eager know-it-all, the girl he could not stand to be in the presence of. She was very much a different woman now – an intelligent, sarcastic, caustic woman. To engage her in conversation was to engage her in battle and to win it took wits. He found himself, quite against his better judgment, attracted to her.

He had only stayed for the Alumni Festival in hopes of spending time with her. It went against every moral fiber of his being, pining to be with someone half his age, and yet, he did.

He walked the treacherous path to the shore of the lake and stood there, watching the last rays of orange light sink below the horizon. He gathered a few flat stones and skipped them while he waited for the moon, a full face that evening, to take position above the water.

He’d been there only a short while when he heard soft footsteps on the path. Slowly, he withdrew his wand from the sleeve of his robe. When the sound of rocks slipping resulted in a vibrant string of curses spoken in a familiar voice, he quickly pocked the wand and turned his attention back to the water. He didn’t want to appear as though he’d been waiting for her.

“I don’t remember that path as being particularly dangerous,” Hermione said as she emerged from the bushes, wiping what he suspected was dirt from the back of her pants.

“Albus added some rocks, to deter amorous couples,” he said with a smirk he hoped she couldn’t see.

“Ah. Then how did you get down here?” she asked and her voice sounded closer to him than it had before.

“I know where the extra rocks are.”

He skipped a stone and turned to her. In the moonlight, her wild mane of unmanageable curls looked even wilder.

“However did you find me, Hermione?”

She laughed. “What makes you think I was looking for you, you twit?”

He skipped another rock, nonplussed. “You seemed to know I was here when you arrived. I merely assumed…” He trailed off with a shrug.

“Silly man, of course I was looking for you.”

She said this from directly beside him and he turned slightly, glad to finally see her face. She was flushed, he saw, and smiling.

“I take it you snuck out of the party,” he said.

Her smile widened. “No, actually. I said I was going to bed and Minerva suggested I find you. Apparently, your sneaky exiting skills need some work. That brings us to here, now.”

He tried very hard not to smile at Minerva’s blatant matchmaking attempts. She was about as subtle as a Patronus.

“So let me get this straight –” she took a stone from him – “you told Minerva you were off to bed and she suggested you find me?” She nodded. “Curious.”

She heaved the stone against the water’s surface and watched it skip ten or so times out to the center of the lake. She looked up at him.

“Not really,” she said with a straight face. “She was suggesting I sleep with you.”

In his stunned silence, she took the last stone from his hand, brushing his fingers as did so.

“Why do you think I came down here?” she asked and skipped the rock even farther than the last one. She turned to him with a wide smile. “It wasn’t to kick your arse at skipping stones.”

He gathered his wits. Never got into a conversation with this woman without them, his mind screamed at him. He was suddenly very much aware of the heat in the air. For the first time in a long time, his cheeks flushed.

“You must be joking,” he managed and instantly he wished he’d said anything else, including, ‘My, it’s warm out here’.

She simply shook her head. “No, I’m not. Why would I?”

She honestly sounded confused. This could go badly, he mused, very, very badly.

“Have you forgotten who I am, you silly girl?”

Her eyes, even in the moonlight, seemed to cloud over. I should have been a priest, was the thought that crossed his mind.

“Apart from the fact that you are appallingly awful at skipping stones, you are the only man within a six hundred mile radius who is up to the task.”

There was an undercurrent of anger in her voice. It worried him.

“What task might that be?”

She surprised him by smiling. “Me, of course.”

As she said it, two life-altering events occurred: His resolve to stay away from her crumbled and a firebug landed in her hair. The latter resulted in him, Severus “the Bastard” Snape, laughing so hard he snorted. The former resulted in something much nicer.

He grasped her by the waist, pulled her to him, and kissed her senseless.

“Remind me to thank Minerva,” he said softly as they both came up for air.

“Point of fact,” she murmured and he glanced down at her. She looked sheepish.

“Minerva didn’t suggest anything. You lied?” he asked, resigned.

She nodded. “I lied.”

“Good on you,” he said and kissed her again.

Little did he know, it was exactly what she had hoped would happen.


Alumni Festival by Aedammair [Reviews - 22]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved