Home | Members | Help | Submission Rules | Log In |
Recently Added | Categories | Titles | Completed Fics | Random Fic | Search | Top Fictions
Ficlets & Drabbles

I'm Waiting by Clara Minutes [Reviews - 71]


Would you like to submit a review?

Disclaimer: Unfortunately, I'm making no money from this. I'm just playing nicely with J.K.R.'s toys.

I’m Waiting

By Clara Minutes

I’m waiting. I haven’t had to wait in thirteen years. The winged boars of Hogwarts gates keep me company.


Ah, he’s back. He looks toward me and nods. He hasn’t forgotten our ritual; well, neither have I. I sing one note and vanish.


Once a month for six months, this pattern repeats. He looks worse on some nights than others. I haven’t actually had to cry for him yet.


My companion has cried for him on my behalf. Dumbledore feels terrible that any should have to face what he does.


Another year goes by with not much variation. I am waiting once again with the winged boars. It is later than normal. A soft pop and he falls to his knees in front of me. There are tear tracks on his face. I sing, and he looks at me. I see the horror of what he has had to do lingering in his eyes. He has such dark eyes.


As is customary, I vanish. Dumbledore knows something is wrong when I appear.


He comes into Dumbledore’s office. Upon seeing me, he nods, as is our custom. I sing one note and he slowly recounts his tale to Dumbledore.


“Granger’s parents are dead,” he says to end the tale. The stunned silence is even hard for me to bear.


Finally, Dumbledore breaks the silence and tells me to fetch the girl.


Miss Granger lies awake, even at this late hour, reading. She starts after I nudge her hand. She must be more observant than even I realized because upon seeing me she heaves a great sigh and moves to get her dressing gown. She walks with me on her shoulder to my companion’s office.


The stone gargoyle opens because I am with her.


She seems so calm, as much as I would like to take credit, I know this is a show of her strength and not my power.


He is still in the office, which surprises me. Normally, he doesn’t linger.


She sees him and starts again. My companion offers her tea and a seat. I remain by her just in case.


“They’re dead, right?” she asks with more dignity than should be possible for one her age.


He moves to kneel in front of her to show his respect to her and the dead. She looks at him and nods. “Were you there?”


He nods this time.


“Did you show them mercy?”


Slower to react, he nods again.


My companion and I are amazed by the exchange. With a look from Dumbledore, I lay my head on her shoulder. She gathers herself and stands. He escorts her back to her dorm, and my job for now is done.

******

I’m waiting again. He leaves more often now. Every two weeks or so, he is called.


It has been seven months since that dreadful night. To my astonishment, I have more than the winged boars for company as of late. She waits with me now. Outside these walls, it is not safe for her. She has picked up his habit. When she arrives and sees me she nods. I nod in return. I sang the first time, but she told me that was not necessary.


He appears with a small pop. It’s becoming harder and harder not to cry for this man. After he catches himself he nods to me. I do sing for him. He notices her standing there, but barely shows acknowledgement.


I vanish, leaving them.


My companion thinks she’s good for him. I think so too, if he would allow her to be.

******

I’m waiting; she’s here as well. She always is. For the last year, she has waited with me for his many returns. He has finally allowed her to help. He still nods to me and I still sing, but that is really just habit. I watch them walk away this time and think it will be my last. He has another guardian now. My job is done.


I'm Waiting by Clara Minutes [Reviews - 71]


Disclaimers
Terms of Use
Credits

Ashwinder
A Severus Snape/Hermione Granger archive in the Harry Potter universe

Copyright © 2003-2019 Sycophant Hex
All rights reserved